Skip navigation
bedford falls
Currently Being Moderated

Table of Contents for objects?

Dec 12, 2013 9:20 AM

I am new to this so .... I am publishing a children's literature journal for individuals who work with children.  I have produced a Table of Contents using the layout feature in indesign cc.  Now I want to produce a table of contents for the children's illustrations (object styles not paragraph styles).  I have created a new paragraph style for those paragraphs that have greyscales anchored in them, but then the entire paragraph prints out in the table of content for each greyscale.  Any ideas?

Gary

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 12, 2013 10:03 AM   in reply to bedford falls

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2013 11:13 AM   in reply to bedford falls
    ...but then the entire paragraph prints out in the table of content for each greyscale.

Right, that's how it works. The paragraph style targeted should be styling whatever you would want as the Table of Figures entry. So, I don't know if/how you title or caption those illustrations, but you need to style those titles/captions with a paragraph style, then target that style for the table. If there is no visible title or caption, then add a text frame to the page, type in whatever you want to appear as the table entry, and give the text a fill of None.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2013 11:29 AM   in reply to bedford falls

Actaully, if what you are after is the image as the listing, it's pretty straightforward. Create a paragraph style to use as the key for the TOC, then crete a text frame and assign the new paragraph style. Anchor the image in this new frame as an inline anchored object, then anchor that frame in the running text wherever you want the illustration to appear.

What you have now is an anchored image nested inside an anchored text frame, and the TOC will pick up only the image.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2013 12:01 PM   in reply to bedford falls

My uncle Franklin, who was in the publisher's advertising business for many years, claimed we were distant cousins, but I don't know if any of the family genealogists on my side have established the link absolutely.

I mostly get asked that question, by the way, by children's librarians and elementary school teachers. THe other Peter Spier's books were also a big part of my childhood. I met him once, myself, about 30 years ago, when he did a book signing at a local bookstore, but he wasn't terribly impressed with me, or my claim to kinship. He did have a sense of humor, though -- told me when people asked me to sign books I should charge them $.25.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2013 1:59 PM   in reply to bedford falls

Gary,

I'm a little unclear as to what you mean by a table of contents for the children's illustrations.

Do you want a list of all the captions associated with the illustrations?

Or a list of all the names of the illustrations?

I have a couple of ideas as to what you could do, but I need to know what your layout is and what you want.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2013 8:41 AM   in reply to bedford falls

Okay, so unless I missed something, the question remains: What do you want shown (as entries) in the Table of Illustrations? Titles? Captions? Images?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2013 8:57 AM   in reply to bedford falls

Gary, there was no sample page, perhaps becasue you tried to send it as an attachment, which is not enabled on the forum.

You can provide a link to a file stores on a server, like dropbox, or you can embed an image in a post using the camera icon onthe web page, like this:

CameraIcon.png

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2013 9:47 AM   in reply to bedford falls

First, where are you getting the information about the image from? Is it in the paragraph that holds the image? If so, you need to separate that paragraph from the rest of the text with a paragraph return.

Next, you can capture that information for a TOC, but you're not going to have it divided up into chunks that could be in a table.

There is a technique that would allow you to capture the meta data for the illustrations and then put that into hidden captions that could then be used to generate the TOC, but that's only a viable technique if you have hundreds of illustrations in a document.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2013 9:59 AM   in reply to Sandee Cohen

It might turn out to be easier to add all that information as "hidden" (really, non-printing) text in a paragraph elsewhere on the page and assign it a unique style to pick up for the TOC. I do that for advertiser indexes where I want to list the page where an ad, which is a graphic object, is located.

I create a text frame and set it's attributes to non-printing, then define a paragraph style that uses nice red type so it stands out and I don't forget it's there in layout view, and I goupt that frame with the image. No output for the non-printing frame, but it can be picked up in a TOC.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2013 10:12 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Nice idea Peter.

I have used text frames on a hidden layer, which the TOC can find. But your idea is better as you can still see the text on the page.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points