• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ColdFusion Builder 2 HANGS

Engaged ,
Dec 12, 2013 Dec 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded and installed the CF Builder 2 (Version: 2.0.1 Build: 282422) and almost daily (but not at any regular time or interval) it hangs, then I have to manually kill the process, and often lose some work. When this happens the CPU resources get pegged at 100% or more by the ColdFusion Builder 2 process. I can't identify any specific operation that appears to cause this either; I'm almost always just typing code when the freeze occurs.

I'm on Mac OSX 10.9, 16GB RAM

Has anyone else experienced this? Any work arounds out there?

I'm going to be running out of free trial time and unfortunately there is no way I can justify paying for this product. I was using Dreamweaver (which I still like and may go back to) but has anyone else seen/used a good CFML editor?

Thanks in advance,

Rich

TOPICS
Builder

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Richard, try increasing the heap size in CFB. It has a fixed size, not varying based on your available memory. See:

http://cfmumbojumbo.com/cf/index.cfm/coding/increase-cfbuilder-performance/

As for other good CFML editors, many love sublime text. I list still others at http://www.cf411.com/editcf

/charlie

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Charlie

Thanks for your reply. I looked at the article you linked to and it said to edit a file called CFBuilder.ini but I'm on a Mac, and after searching my entire disk(s) I can't seem to locate the file. I'm looking at various other XML files in the mean time, do you happen to know where the java args are stored on the Mac side of the world for CFB2?

Thank you again,

Rich

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the vein of “teaching a man to fish”…

Doing a google search for:

cfbuilder.ini osx

turned up first a result at: http://blog.mxunit.org/2009/07/speeding-up-coldfusion-builder.html

where Charlie Griefer added a comment saying:

For OS X folks:

Go to your \CFBuilder.app, right-click and choose "Show Package Contents".

You'll find the CFBuilder.ini under Contents > MacOS > CFBuilder.ini

Does that work for you, Richard?

If not, let’s ask for clarification: are you running CFBuilder in standalone mode? Or as a plug-in atop Eclipse? If the latter, see the “Mac OS X” section of this page:

http://help.eclipse.org/indigo/index.jsp?topic=%2Forg.eclipse.platform.doc.user%2Ftasks%2Frunning_eclipse.htm

Let us know if any of that helps.

/charlie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Charlie-

Maybe I need to try fishing with different bait 😉

I did the exact Google search and did not see the results you posted. However they worked just fine and I was able to edit the settings as suggested. I'll see if CFBuilder is anymore stable now.

Thanks again,

Rich

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sweet. Hope it works out.

I wonder, also, how it may go with no value for XMX at all. The JVM should then use up to a certain % of available memory. I’ve wondered if that may not be a better choice for Adobe to use for CFB out of the box (and CF, too), rather than trying to guess what may be a good value for everyone.

/charlie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation