• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I create a PDF directly from RH10?

New Here ,
Dec 12, 2013 Dec 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems a bit absurd that the creators of PDF don't have any way to output a RH10 project directly to a PDF without using Word. Perhaps I'm missing something but I don't get why the resulting PDF ALWAYS has a screwed up TOC. It doesn't recognize the bookmarks as does HTMLhelp or WebHelp. (My source docs are HTMs for all projects)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 16, 2013 Dec 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PDF is effectively a printer so to create a single PDF file, which is what you want, Rh creates a Word document. If it took the individual HTM files it would have to keep appending one after the other. Then having an index and a TOC of any sort would be a bit of an issue.

Have you checked the PDF Settings? (Using the Settings button next to the PDF option?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Peter!

Yes.., I understand that RH10 uses a Word template for PDF output. This is what I'm trying to avoid since I now append each htm to my output file, then use Acrobat (or Nuance PDF Creator) Pro to assign/set bookmarks/security. I'd like to also avoid this if possible. I don't see (nor understand) why Adobe would persist a dependancy on MS Office when it has the ability to do this directly from RH. (If I can do it manually then surely they can do it programatically!)

I've played with the settings for PDF output with no success/solution. I get a completely different TOC every time, which suggests the existing TOC structure is ignored. Note that all elements are created in RH and so one would think they'd be recognized by the app that created them!

Also, a different Word template would be necessary if page layouts differ from project to project. I don't see any provision in RH10 for doing page setups for printed documentation output.

Perhaps the problem for me is more that I'm not a fan of MS Word! I thought doing PDFs from RH9 might be a better approach because the project in Word is linked, but not so (as it turned out). So basically, if a user doesn't have Word (or MS Office) installed then they're SOL! I invested in RH because I was looking to simplify my processes to a "single-source, multiple output" solution. I already have working solutions for doing CHM, WebHelp, stand-alone HTML.EXE, and PDF. RH can't replace the HTML.EXE solution, but I was hoping it would handle the rest. (I don't need the various device output formats because all of them [except Kindle perhaps] can access WebHelp)

Again, thanks for your interest!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Going via Word also generally produces a better document. Today I printed a single topic direct to PDF and the images were a mess that Word fixes as it creates the document.

When you print you have choices, map the styles to a Word template, use a single CSS to apply to all topics, or use the topics individual CSS files. All three of them then create a single document with the styles defined.

I have many projects and use the same Word template for all. The projects have different CSS files. In the last page of the print dialog I map the project styles to the template styles. If for some reason I do need a different appearance in a document I amend the Word template or create a new one according to which is most expedient. The Word template gets changed in Word.

Yes having Word installed is a prerequisite to importing from Word, linking to Word and generating printed documents. As you are working with linked documents I assume you must have Word and you will find using that is the way to go, your TOC problem aside. Are you perhaps letting your Word prejudice get in the way?

I think you would do better if we focus on why you have TOC problems. Where exactly are these bookmarks? In linked documents or in Rh topics?

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, thanks again for your interest! I appreciate your efforts immensley!!

Yes, I think you're right in that my prejudice toward Word plays a role in persisting toward using it. That doesn't mean I can't work with it as I'm fairly proficient in it. I just have an aversion toward people using Word for things better suited to Excel. (I'm an Excel developer and so here lies the source of my prejudice!<g>)

I do use CSS in all projects. Perhaps this is a possible source of problem as well because they're the same CSS files I use in Expression Web, where I author the HTMs. Since the structure of CSS is a standard, I don't expect there should be any issues with these except where/how RH converts them to Word Style defs.

That aside, I accept your invite to explore my TOC issues. Right off the bat I don't understand why the TOC that works for CHM/WebHelp isn't being used. Clearly I'm missing something about this because I publish all my app user guides in CHM/PDF and the TOCs are identical in both. (Same goes for the WebHelp version!)

FYI

I visited your website back when I first started using RH. Your dedication to RH is commendable (to say the least)!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 19, 2013 Dec 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't see that I did extend an invitation to look at your project but I am happy to do so.

See the Contact page on my site and send the project as instructed there. Do make sure you include a link to this thread and please do not email the project direct.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

My comment was in ref to your statement...

"I think you would do better if we focus on why you have TOC problems."

..at the bottom of your previous reply. I did not take it as a personal invitation from you as such, but rather a good direction to explore. Perhaps better terminology could have been used on my part! I apologize for any misunderstanding...

Should I start a new discussion, then?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, keep with this thread. I am happy to take a look and it may the

easiest solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, thanks!

The issue with the TOC changing for the PDF output seems to be related to the CSS I use. I conclude (after extensive reading) that I need to adopt using built-in Word styles to fix this behavior. That's why my interest to bypass Word and output directly to PDF. I also read of 'mapping' styles from the CSS to Word styles. I assume this is similar to mapping data fields when importing data from one DB to another DB. It looks like what I need to do is re-define my CSS styles to match what RH uses for its TOC via Word, and re-define the DOT styles to match. I suppose that's where to start...

Another issue is page setup! I use narrow margins deliberately and there's no way to persist this in RH. Clearly, I need to make sure my DOT has this in place.

Otherwise, I really don't want to have to continue to print/append each htm and add the TOC later<g>!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 23, 2013 Dec 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes the mapping of styles is the same logic as mapping fields.

Once you have a template set up, you will find the workflow is straightforward.

You may still find that your page numbers in the TOC are wrong. That is as simple as right clicking to the right of the TOC and selecting Update.

Come back here if you hit specific issues.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 23, 2013 Dec 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Okay, Peter. Thank you!

I'll work on this over the holidays (as time permits)...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp