Skip navigation
jeauxvelle
Currently Being Moderated

My reader is totally shut down.

Dec 13, 2013 8:47 AM

I have had Adobe Reader for quite a few years now.  I have utilized it, mostly in my college studies.  And now, that I am attempting to go back to school, I am finding that I cannot use my reader view or create my pdf files.  I tried to uninstall the program and reinstall it.  But, it stated that I did not have the permission nor the software to do so.  I then looked through my old emails and there was a request for me to change my password because someone had infiltrated my account and corrupted the tool. I have no clue as to how to reinstate the functioning of my reader at this point.  Can you help?  ASAP?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 13, 2013 9:16 AM   in reply to jeauxvelle

First, Reader cannot create pdf files. Never could. Any problem with your old Reader not being able to read pdf files may be due to old formats, corruption of your Reader installation, virii, and other issues. We need information. What OS are you running? What version and what program are you using: Reader or Acrobat (commercial program that can create pdf files).

How are you trying to open pdf files (in a browser [if so which]), on your computer by double-clicking on the file, through the application itself using File -> Open menu item?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2013 7:45 PM   in reply to jeauxvelle

This means you lost the file association for .pdf files; you need to reassign it to Adobe Reader.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2013 2:01 PM   in reply to jeauxvelle

Let's do a test first. Please try to start Reader and use File > Open to open these files.

Does this work?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2013 7:00 PM   in reply to jeauxvelle

Download the installer from http://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2013 7:02 PM   in reply to jeauxvelle

You still haven't told us your operating system, but since you mention Control Panel in your last post, I assume it's Windows.

Before running the installer from my previous link, download and run the cleaner tool http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/acrobatcleaner.html

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points