Skip navigation
paulwhitehouse
Currently Being Moderated

Install Failure on Mac

Dec 14, 2013 5:09 AM

Tags: #mac #installation #mavericks

I have downloaded AdobeReaderInstaller_11_uk_ltrosxd_aaa_aih.dmg on to my MacBook Pro (2GHx Intel Core 17, OS 10.9).  It launches OK, but when the package runs I get after the initial message, 10% of Retrieving Install and then <Connection F`ailed> Unable to complete installation.>

I have a stable internet connection and have just tested it with a 172MB file.  I tried downloading a different copy of the .dmg but get the same effect.  I am running Intego AV software and have scanned the file so it is clear.

Any ideas please?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 14, 2013 12:16 PM   in reply to paulwhitehouse

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2013 1:13 PM   in reply to paulwhitehouse

paulwhitehouse wrote:

I am running Intego AV software and have scanned the file so it is clear.

You DO NOT NEED antivirus software on a Mac.

See: https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3030

Get that stuff off and never put it back on.

I've owned eight macs in eleven years and (except for a McAfee test I did for an employer) I've NEVER had any antivirus software on any of them and I'ver never even SEEN a virus for a Mac.

That software will cause more harm than good.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2013 2:18 PM   in reply to paulwhitehouse

Chico Marx used to ask, "Who you gonna believe... me, or your own eyes?"
    Gigaom is a blog site. The link I posted is from Apple, and was written by a Mac user since the 80's FOR Apple.

If you read the article you linked to, which I did, it make MORE of an argument for NOT using A/V on a Mac than it does for it.

A few snippets""

"Apple said at one time it recommended antivirus software (though later it recanted), yet most Mac users don’t.  The risks of a virus on your Mac are slim and protection software is perceived as slowing down computers and being generally buggy."

and

"The reasons why Macs don’t get many viruses are as much based on luck and market conditions, as they are on inherent security."

What that article FAILS to mention is this:
    A virus (by definition) is a executable file (.exe) which WILL NOT RUN on OS X because it's a UNIX based file system and 'executables' are nothing more than text in UNIX. The BSD subsystem cannot parse c++ or visual basic and the virus is a page full of code when you open it (in TextEdit - the ONLY app that can open it on a Mac). It's HARMLESS.

Javascript hacks (like the FBI virus - ransomware) are easily disabled by opening a new browser window (Safari, Opera or Firefox ALL can do this with a "YOUR BROWSER HAS BEEN LOCKED" page open), opening the browser preferences, disabling Javascript, and refreshing the page. I've done this with linked pages just to test it.

Mail hacks (spammers) run from the server and are undone by deleting the original offending email, since they cannot function (executable) from your local system.

You're running Mavericks as I am, which has the latest (three step) protection from Apple. In addition to the admin password protection that OS X has had since 2001, WIth OS 10.7, the "Gatekeeper" was added, requiring Apple approved signing for an app to even open unless you take specific steps to circumvent it. Mt. Lion added silent scanning of system files for anything malicious. Most OS 10.8 users are completely unaware that it's on their system or even running, or that it updates on every reboot or waking. Mavericks added continuous silent updating to this and it updates several times throughout the day, unless your Mac is shut down or put to sleep, and then it automatically connects and updates the "Gatekeeper" as soon as your connection opens again, like with Mt. Lion.

Even with Windows running on a BootCamp partition, your OS X partition and files are 100% safe from anything that may affect the Windows side. I had a BootCamp setup on my 2009 MacBook Pro and I deliberately installed a virus on it to test it. I locked up Windows 7 beyond rebooting. When I shut the MacBook down, I simply held the Option key and powered it up. I selected the Snow Leopard partition and booted into OS 10.6. I erased the Windows partition and reinstalled Windows 7 & was back up & running an hour later.

I'll stand by my assertion that you have no more need of antivirus on a Mac, than a fish has need of a bicycle.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points