Skip navigation
NimChimpski
Currently Being Moderated

Microsoft Surface Pro 2

Dec 17, 2013 2:04 AM

Tags: #surface_pro_2

Hello PPCCers,

I did a search but found no discussion.

Does anyone have any experience of PP or any CC products on Surface?

I am tempted to get one but knowing that I could use it for PP or AE would help make my mind up.

cheers

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 17, 2013 2:43 AM   in reply to NimChimpski

Dont think this is going to work properly.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2013 2:54 AM   in reply to NimChimpski

Not good at all:

• Only a very slow dual core
    • Almost below minimum requirements of RAM.
    • Only one SSD
    • Integrated Intel video
    • Only 10.6" screen
    • No expandability

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2013 5:53 AM   in reply to NimChimpski

The Surface Pro 2 looks really promising as a companion device rather than a main workstation. It is a good solution to review shots on set, but to do any serious editing or compositing, you'll need a heartier machine. I can't even imagine the amount of time it would take to export an HD file from Ae or Pr using that machine. You could probably use some other tools from the CC fairly comfortably though. Running Ps or Ai from a portable, lightweight device like that sounds killer to me (if you invest in a mouse and keyboard).

Here's an interesting article from around the time the Surface Pro 2 was announced:

http://www.studiodaily.com/2013/09/microsoft-positions-surface-pro-2-f or-4k-workflow/

It provides a more professional view on the Surface Pro 2.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2013 8:08 AM   in reply to NimChimpski

The beauty of the Surface, and it's prime advantage over all other tablets, is that it's the exact same Windows OS as on your desktop.  (Assuming you don't get the RT version, and no one should.)  So anything you can install on your desktop will install on the Surface.

However, just because it will install doesn't mean it will run well.  I feel that even a powerful Laptop is insufficient for editing, as the ideal minimum config includes five internal hard drives, and you just can do that on anything but a desktop/workstation.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points