Skip navigation
PatHoe
Currently Being Moderated

Why does Illustrator open this file incorrect (coloured polygon becomes uncoloured)

Dec 18, 2013 2:53 AM

Tags: #cs4 #illustrator #problem #cs6

I have an eps file that opens incorrect in Illustrator (CS6, CS4, 10 I tested). I wonder why this happens. The path seems to be complex, but Photoshop and Distiller converts/opens this file correct. So this seems to be a bug in Illustrator. I ca send you the file.

How can this be solved?

Patrick.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 18, 2013 8:24 AM   in reply to PatHoe

Hi Patrick

Pop a link to the file up and let's have a look.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2013 9:15 AM   in reply to PatHoe

Hi

You need to use a service like DropBox or similar.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2013 5:32 AM   in reply to PatHoe

Hi

Sorry I am away quite a lot today - and also apologies but I can't accept the file by email.

Sign up for Dropbox - it's free - and you can then upload the file to there and get a share link for it which you can post here so that myself and other contributors can look at the file and offer our help.

In answer to your other question I'm not sure about the total number in a document, but the there is a total per line segment - 32,767 if I remember correctly.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2013 7:26 AM   in reply to PatHoe

What is the history of this file? Where does it come from?

If you place it in Illustrator, it works as well. But you can't embed it. So there must be something wrong with the PostScript part. Either too complex or just wrong.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2013 9:22 AM   in reply to PatHoe

This files comes from map making software maps4news from MapCreator. The postscript part is okay. What in your eyes is too complex? Maximum amount of points for the path?

whatever Illustrator finds too complex. Maximum amount of points for a path is around 32000 (at least when I last tested this in CS3).

This path is just one of several complex paths in the file. So altogether they might also be the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2013 9:30 AM   in reply to PatHoe

Maybe I’m just depriving a village of its idiot somewhere, but did you try hitting Cmd/Ctrl+Y to get the preview to show up?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points