Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Magic Wand doesn't properly select dark areas in CS6

Dec 18, 2013 5:35 AM

Tags: #dark #select #objects #magic #work #properly #doesn't #wand #areas

Hello guys !

I have a problem.

Magic Wand doesn't properly select dark areas in Photoshop CS6.

I've downloaded latest updates of Photoshop using "Help/Updates" and then I've clicked "Reset Tool" but i didn't help.

Here's my problem:

It appears only in CMYK mode [in RGB everything is alright] and only with dark colours.

File has no layers.

I have, for example, two squares.

One of them has such colour: C-25% M-50% Y-75% K-100%.

Second one has such colour: C-0% M-0% Y-0% K-100%.

Magic Wand is configured like this:

Tolerance: 0

Continuous: Not active

When I click on one of these squares only the clicked one should have been selected but Magic Tool selects both of them. So it selects all objects and areas which contains 100% of Black colour but if object contains 99% of Black Magic Wand works properly and it will select only this one. This problem appears only with dark areas and objects. My colleague in different company has the same problem [also in CS6].

Here you can download a file which can show you what I'm writing about: http://www.sendspace.com/file/ge1z94 - My Magic Wand always selects all of these squares.

I'm not novice to Photoshop Can anyone tell me what can I do about it ? If there was such a topic, please give me a link. Thanks in advance !

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 18, 2013 5:44 AM   in reply to ELBE

I didn't open your file, but I'm assuming that you're squares are touching each other.  I'm getting the same when the squares touch, but not when they are separate.  I'm not sure what this is, but CYMK does act odd at times.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2013 5:58 AM   in reply to ELBE

My work is blocking the download, so I can't try your file.

|
    Mark as:
  • Andrew Rodney
    1,388 posts
    Apr 16, 2009
    Dec 18, 2013 12:29 PM   in reply to ELBE

I downloaded the file and had no issue selecting each square with one click. What I did specify that may have been a factor is the sampling is set to 1x1 (point sample). Give that a try.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2013 5:25 PM   in reply to ELBE

I also tried your file and had not problems selecting each of the squares in CS6 and CC with any sampling size. 

|
    Mark as:
  • Andrew Rodney
    1,388 posts
    Apr 16, 2009
    Dec 19, 2013 7:17 AM   in reply to ELBE

ELBE wrote:

M R .   C H R I S   C O X :   C O U L D   Y O U   R E P L Y   T O   M Y   P R O B L E M   ?

No need. I have to assume it's user error or something else. Two of us here can't replicate the bug with your file. Another user on "a beta forum" has also confirmed he can't replicate the bug. At least with the file you sent, maybe you provided the wrong one?

Again, with the file you uploaded, at least three of us on different systems, across different distances, using CS6 and CC cannot replicate the bug. As someone that's been doing prerelease testing for Adobe since Photoshop version 5, you may be onto something but you are not providing the necessary bits and pieces for at least three of us to produce the results you are seeing.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2013 6:25 PM   in reply to Andrew Rodney

Tried also and it works perfectly from here. I can select any square on their own or select all of them.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2013 9:13 PM   in reply to Andrew Rodney

My first guess is that the image was converted from RGB with dithering enabled (resulting in +-1 changes in values).

But if noone can reproduce the problem - there isn't much I can do either.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2013 10:30 PM   in reply to ELBE

ELBE wrote:

Here's my problem:

Magic Wand is configured like this:

Tolerance: 0

Continuous [sic]: Not active    [emphasis added] …

There indeed is your problem.  Check the "Contiguous" box:

Screen Shot 2013-12-19 at 10.21.14 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2013 10:37 PM   in reply to ELBE

Depending on your Tolerance setting, your selection will include any number of pixels outside your square(s) if set to non-contiguous, even the entire canvas.  So make sure Contiguous is checked.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points