Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Epson Claria Ink Replacement

Dec 18, 2013 8:00 AM

Tags: #ink #print #epson

Thought I'd check-in here to see if anyone had any recommendations/experience with Epson printer Claria ink replacement. I've done some looking into this and the practice (of going with OEM replacement cartridges/ink) seems fairly ubiquitous/common. I'm looking to replace the cartridges in one of my Artisan 1430 printers and the following after-market ink sites seems to have decent replacement kits for this printer [links removed by moderator]

Has anyone else done this? Anyone have any experience with the above vendors and their dye sets? Any issues I should be aware of before following through with this?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 18, 2013 7:51 AM   in reply to ColdForest

No experience, but you might take a look over on the Luminous Landscape forum, e.g. this thread:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=85032.0

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2013 7:22 AM   in reply to ColdForest

The big drawback is in ICC profiling. Epson's inbuilt profiles (and third-party paper profiles for an Epson printer) all assume you're using Epson's ink, so the proofs will usually be out of whack when you're using off-brand cartridges or refills. I tried a bunch and typically the red/cyan tones were all over the place, so skies were... amusing. If you have a colorimeter you can always build your own custom profile for any combination of printer/ink/paper, but most people don't.

Personally I use off-brand inks on the old Stylus printer that whaps out stuff like invoices and it's never been a problem in terms of clogging up (though the ink levels on Epson's monitor utility are sometimes a little skittish). I'll buy whatever's cheapest, don't care. In the past I tried home refills, but it's a lot of faffing about and the unbranded cartridges aren't much more. I do have one of the little "chip resetter" tools so I can stop the thing wailing at me if Cyan's empty.

The printer I use for photos gets Claria ink, mostly so I know the soft proofs are accurate, but since everything that comes out of that tray is destined for sale, quality and reliability matter - someone asks for a reprint in 6 months, they expect identical colors. I could probably get the same results with off-brand ink if I calibrated everything and ran a bunch of tests, but it's not worth the hassle.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 21, 2013 6:22 AM   in reply to ColdForest

Colorimeters are relatively simple to use, you print their special test sheet of colored patches and scan the device across them. Note that a screen calibrator is a different thing, some dual-purpose devices exist but in general a print profiler is more expensive as it has to include a calibrated light source as well as the detectors.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points