Skip navigation
gdk54
Currently Being Moderated

Landscape to portrait

Dec 18, 2013 4:51 PM

I shot some video with the camera on its side (landscape) I would now like to have it saved and play back as portrait.  Is this possible?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 18, 2013 7:32 PM   in reply to gdk54

gdk54

I have not tried this with Premiere Elements in the equation, but you might want to check it out while I think about it.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/14751/rotate-a-video-90-degrees-with-vl c-or-windows-live-movie-maker/

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2013 11:05 PM   in reply to gdk54

You can rotate your video from lanscape to Portrait using PRE11 or PRE12. JUst import your video on the timeline -->Right Click on the timeline and Click on Rotate

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2013 5:13 PM   in reply to gdk54

gdk54

Are you in the Expert workspace or the Quick workspace of Premiere Elements 12?

Be in the Expert workspace to take advantage of Akshat B's suggested Rotate 90 Left and Rotate 90 Right in the pop up after you right click the file on the TImeline track.

Otherwise, highlight the clip to be rotated. Then go to Applied Effects/Applied Effects Palette/Motion Panel expanded and scroll down in the Motion Panel expanded until you see the Rotation option.

Please let us know if that works for you.

Thank you.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2013 9:06 AM   in reply to gdk54

Hello gdk54,

You need to right click on the video timeline inside PRE. The options restore etc come when you right click on the "Windows taskbar".

Just to add to ATR's suggestion": Quick View also has rorate feature.

-Akshat

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2013 12:16 PM   in reply to gdk54

gdk54

To further supplement what Akshat B and I have written, I have prepared the following screenshots.

In the Premiere Elements 12 Quick workspace, after you right click your file in one of the Filmstrip Scene Spaces, you should see the following, including the pop up menu with the Rotate options.

RotateQuick-1.jpg

In the Premiere Elements Expert workspace, after you right click your file on the Timeline, you should

see the following, including the pop up menu with the Rotate options.

RotateExpert.jpg

In either Expert or Quick workspace, after you select your file, you can go the Applied Effects/Applied Effects Palette/Motion Panel expanded route to the Rotate options in the Motion Panel expanded. Screenshot here shows the Expert workspace and the Motion Panel Expanded.

Rotate3.JPG

I prefer to work in the Expert workspace since I believe that you can see better what is going on and thus have more control of the workflow. My preference. Whatever works for you. I would select one or the other workspaces and not toogle between the two. Certain things are not represented the same between the two workspaces.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2013 1:47 PM   in reply to gdk54

gdk54 wrote:

I shot some video with the camera on its side (landscape) I would now like to have it saved and play back as portrait.  Is this possible?

If you want to export it also as portrait make a 1920x1080 project or use the new QFHD preset under AVCHD and check force the pproject settings.

Drop the clip into the timeline. Make sure its not scaled to framesize.

Now rotate to portrait.

Go to share and folow the screendump.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2013 1:48 PM   in reply to Ann Bens

landscape vs protrait.png

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2013 4:01 PM   in reply to gdk54

gdk54

Given that you change the export settings for the Timeline content so that the frame height is greater than the frame width, what is your target player for this?

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 21, 2013 7:10 AM   in reply to gdk54

gdk54

Thanks for the follow up. Great news when you wrote "Think I have it figured out." Great work.

Just in case notes

a. If you use the Rotation option in the Motion Panel expanded, you can rotation the frame to other besides 90 degrees if wanted. So, are you ending up with your frame rotated and do you have black borders? Are you loosing any of your image at playback on TV and/or computer?

b. When you go to burn your Timeline content to DVD, 3 hours are going to be too much for a standard DVD disc (4.7 GB/120 minutes - in reality, that 4.7 is 4.28 GB) and double layer single sided DVD disc (8.5 GB/240 GB - in reality 7.95 GB). In the later case, you can work with the "Fit Content to Available Space" selected, but the program will lower the bitrate to make the fit as far as it can. Lowering of bitrate is typically associated with lower quality depending on how much the bitrate is lowered. Have you done any test runs in this regard?

More later.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points