Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

PDF: "Save..." vs. "Save as..."

Dec 19, 2013 5:36 AM

Tags: #font #9

Hello all!

I'm working with Acrobat for a few years now, but either quite suddenly or due to some changed settings in the prefs it started to behave a little weird.

What I did:

1. Created a PDF from within Indesign. 156 pages with ~15MB size.

2. Opened that PDF in Acrobat 9 Pro, edited one word and saved ("Save..."). Acrobat started to replace fonts and the saved PDF now was 184MB. Since it contains a lot of images, I suppose the images were save in uncompressed format or with maximum quality, blowing up their sizes.

3. Saved the file again with "Save as..." --> file size got normal again, almost like from Indesign.

Questions:

- Why is Acrobat replacing fonts (I used only standard system fonts) when perform normal save and how I can prevent that?

- What altered preference might let Acrobat make such huge PDFs? I can't figure out. Problem is, when directly saving the file with "Save as..", the file size sometimes also becomes huge, sometimes not.

TIA!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 19, 2013 5:45 AM   in reply to Doc Maik

I don't know what you mean by "replacing fonts" but Save always makes the file larger. Changes are written to the end of the file, leaving everything else in place, even if things are "deleted".

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2013 5:45 AM   in reply to Test Screen Name

While Save as reclaims that space.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2013 7:11 AM   in reply to Test Screen Name

a crude though some what accurate way of explaing this.

Each time you do a save the changes are annotated to the end with pointers show where the additions / corrections should be seen or printed. As more changes are saved the file get progressive larger and more complex for the computer to deal with as the size and complexity grows so grows the likelyhood of corruption and failure.

Save As... on the hand premanently places the changes where they should be, gets rid of the annotations to the end of the File thus reducing overhead, size and complexity. The main possibly disadvantage, everything is permanent, you can't go back. Theadvantage. Document is smaller, less complex, and less likely to be come corrupt.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2013 12:30 PM   in reply to Doc Maik

The translation I found was "replace font". That probably does not help anything. 184MB for fonts is a lot unless you used a lot of fonts.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points