Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Illustrator CS 5.5 has memory issues when I create "distressed" looking art.

Dec 19, 2013 7:54 AM

Tags: #cs5 #distressed #wireframe_resolution #unknown_error #memory_issues

I work in a screen printing company and we often get requests for art work with a "distressed" look. I usually creat the art work and fake a distressed look with a grunge brush that I expand and unite with the pathfinder tool. I then color it to the substrate color, or white for creating seperations. The "negative space" becomes individual paths that cause lagging on my computer. 

We recently upgraded to a computer w/ 64bit processor w/ 8 GB of Ram (though even on the old computer, we had the same issue).

My issue lies in that when I create multiple versions of this art. I get a warning about lack of available memory (which we should have plenty, as this when I save the files it takes significantly longer than other artwork).  I have adjusted the scratch disk settings to work of an external drive.  But when I make too many copies (which I have to do for the sepperation process) a warning window shows up that says:

"Can't Finish previewing. Could not repeat the requested operation."

and it switches to a wireframe preview.  Then if I try to save, it says "An unknown error has occured."

I've attached images to illustrate this problem.  I had to do quite a few more copies of the art to illustrate the point, but significant resources are lost and I am usually unable to save my work when this happens.  I often have to do color seperations, so this requires multiple versions of the same art.  I've lost many hours on this "bug".

Is there any tips, resources or anything available that you can let me know so this stops happening.  Distressed logos are in style, and I can't tell my employers that I can't do them when they bought a new computer to handle the limitaions of the old one.  This same thing has happend on both the old computer and the new one.

Art.jpg

How art looks on mock up

Distressed.jpg

"Distressed" part of art selected

wireframe.jpg

wire frame

error.jpg

Error message

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 19, 2013 7:57 AM   in reply to Premiums8424

looking at the sheer amount of anchor points there, i don't think this is surprising or a bug.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2013 7:58 AM   in reply to Premiums8424

can we have a shot of the document info window with one of those objects selected, just for fun?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2013 8:13 AM   in reply to Premiums8424

do you need to expand the brush?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2013 8:18 AM   in reply to Premiums8424

not sure where to go with this then. hopefully someone else will weigh in.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2013 9:33 AM   in reply to dougofakkad

Illustrator CS 5.1 can't address more then 3 GB of RAM, since it's 32 bit.

So when creating alternative versions, you should maybe not create them in the same file.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2013 10:40 AM   in reply to Premiums8424

You could also take the Grunge and make a symbol of it so it didn't take up as much space in the file. As I understand you could have multiple instances of the Grunge without the weight of duplicate copies with all those vectors. Sounds like this is a software limit you are running into and you should go to CC or CS6.  The color seps don't seem dauntingly complex just the amount of vectors in the Grunge objects.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2013 12:37 PM   in reply to Premiums8424

Hi Premiums8424,

To utilize the full power of your 64 bit OS and higher RAM we suggest that you upgrade to 64 bit AICC. With 64 bit AICC you can use as much RAM as possible to work on such complex documents. 

We would really love to see if switching to AICC solves your issue. You can probably use a fully functional trial version of AICC and then see if things change for you. Trial can be downloaded from: https://creative.adobe.com/products?promoid=KHXAR.

Thanks!

Dhirendra

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 23, 2013 7:25 AM   in reply to Premiums8424

Distressed logos are in style, and I can't tell my employers that I can't do them...

You're workflow is the problem. You are trying to use a vector program to emulate raster-based results, and trying to solve the resulting problem by brute force (throwing additional hardware resources at it).

There are several very widespread misconceptions associated with this commonplace scenario, stemming from confusion between the concepts of vector-based artwork versus raster-based artwork--as opposed to line art versus continuous-tone artwork.

Silkscreen printing does not necessarily require vector-based artwork. It does, however, often require line art. But line art can be vector-based, raster-based, or a combination of the two.

Mathematically-defined shapes and algorithmically-derived interpolation (blends, grads, etc.) are the purview of vector graphics. Granular detail and texture are the purview of raster-based imaging.

There is no reason for you to insist on using a kazillion individual tiny, irregularly-shaped vector paths combined into a huge compound path in order to simulate a so-called "distressed" texture. Just use a 1-bit or 8-bit (with alpha transparency channel) raster image for the texture. Color it white and position it in front of the vector-based elements and print your separations.

Alternatively, take your vector-based content to your raster imaging program, rasterize/separate it to appropriate spot color channels and apply your textures there.

You'll find that you don't need additional hardware resources and that you have much more texture versatility.

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2014 11:35 PM   in reply to Premiums8424

Hi Premiums8424,

On this AI help page you can see some general guidelines for constructing patterns.

Thanks,

Dhirendra

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points