Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

InDesign outputs K100 text as RGB

Dec 19, 2013 8:57 AM

Tags: #cmyk #rgb #exporting #indesign_cs5 #text_problem #acrobat_8_pro #k100

I am trying to convert an InDesign document to a pdf for use on a commercial printing press, but every time I export it changes all my K100 text to what Acrobat is reading as RGB. I've done this many times before and never had a problem, and I've checked all my colour setting and export options, but I just can't seem to figure out what is causing this. I've even tried taking the document to another computer and exporting from there.  I got the same results though, so I think it must be a problem with the document, but the text is definitely set to K100. All objects which are supposed to be K100 are exporting just fine. It is only the text that is creating this problem. Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

 
Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 19, 2013 9:08 AM   in reply to Sapphires

    Have you checked the separations preview to be sure the text is really 100K only? Where does the text come from?

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 19, 2013 9:39 AM   in reply to Sapphires

    What export settings are you using? What do you have for settings in the prefs under Appearance of Black?

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 19, 2013 9:55 AM   in reply to Sapphires

    OK, that's good.

     

    Are you converting the output to a new profile during export?

     

    What version of Acrobat are you using to check the output numbers?

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 19, 2013 10:50 AM   in reply to Sapphires

    Is the simulation profile in Acrobat 8 set to Swop v2 as well?

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 19, 2013 11:09 AM   in reply to Sapphires

    Can you post a link to a smaple page from the PDF, and perhaps a smaple page from the .indd file?

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 19, 2013 12:00 PM   in reply to Sapphires

    I'll send you an upload link that you can use to send them to me. Watch your email for a Private Message from the forum.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 19, 2013 12:27 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

    When I look at the sample PDF you sent and set the Acrobat output preview to SWOP v2, the type is all 100K. Are you sure the simulation profile is set correctly in Acrobat on your end? It's at the top of the output preview window.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,120 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 19, 2013 2:21 PM   in reply to Sapphires

    but I would still really like to know why it's showing up wrong in Acrobat, especially if this is something it is going to do again.

     

    Try using a PDF/X preset. With PDF/X an output intent profile is included and Acrobat defaults to that as the simulation profile. I don't think you could have the problem you are describing with a PDF/X-1a or X-4 export unless you set the output destination to something other than Document CMYK.

     
    |
    Mark as:

More Like This

  • Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

  • 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points