Skip navigation
Wildwood carver
Currently Being Moderated

Bridge slow to open - why?

Dec 19, 2013 11:39 AM

Tags: #help #bridge #slow_load

Opening Bridge - shift/cmd/o - takes a very long time, 1min. 15secs. Before I installed Epson software it was instant. I've removed as much Epson dreck I can; is there anything else I can do?

Replies
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,999 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Dec 19, 2013 12:12 PM   in reply to Wildwood carver

Using this command form PS needs to start up Bridge and this means first reading the cached data of the folder and build criteria before able of being used. However if it worked before then first thing to try is reset preferences. Restart Bridge holding down option key and from the provided menu choose reset preferences and then try again.

If this is a no go can you be more specific about system and versions as well as you machine specs, disk size and free space left?

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,999 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Dec 19, 2013 3:20 PM   in reply to Wildwood carver

Quit Bridge and try to open it from the dock (personal I prefer this way, in fact I let it open on start up because it is one of my main applications I need every day).

Hold down the option key and then click on the bridge icon in the dock, this should start bridge but instead of the app you should get a menu asking you to reset prefs and purge cache.

Start with the reset of prefs and try again.

BTW, I also banned all Epson software...

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 20, 2013 8:04 AM   in reply to Wildwood carver

The slow loading is because Bridge is looking for something.  About all we can say is it takes some detective work on your end, there is no one cause.  Past culprets have connection to a network and anti-virus conflict.

You did not say which Bridge version you are using.  Did it ever work correctly?  If so what updates or software addiditons have you done?

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,999 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Dec 20, 2013 4:01 PM   in reply to Wildwood carver

I run it on an iMac, which I just deep cleaned,

Can you specify this a bit more, there are some 'cleaning' apps available that can do more harm then good I'm afraid

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2013 5:23 PM   in reply to Wildwood carver

Yes, if you ran a registry cleaner or a product like MacSweeper you have have deleted some good files.  If that is the case uninstall, run the Adobe Script Cleaner, then reinstall.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 23, 2013 5:16 PM   in reply to Curt Y

Curt Y wrote:

Yes, if you ran a registry cleaner or a product like MacSweeper…

Well, there is no "registry" on a Mac, but Curt's is on the right track.

Never, ever run a program such as MacSweeper, MacKeeper, MacDefender, etc., on a Mac,

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,999 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Dec 24, 2013 10:07 AM   in reply to station_two

Never, ever run a program such as MacSweeper, MacKeeper, MacDefender, etc., on a Mac,

If you really want a good maintenance application for your Mac try Cocktail (here is some info: http://www.maintain.se/cocktail ) that can run automatically on a daily base repairing permissions, rotating logs and clearing caches, pure maintenance and safe to use, keeps your Mac very healthy.

I know MacKeeper has a very aggressive advertisement campaign but I fully agree with the statement Station Two provided you.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,999 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Dec 24, 2013 10:11 AM   in reply to Wildwood carver

I assume Station_two is a gentleman,

I know he will be very pleased with this qualification :-0

|
    Mark as:

More Like This