Skip navigation
goodnewsjim
Currently Being Moderated

Why is copy/paste of Library assets done so badly?

Dec 20, 2013 5:06 AM

Windows does copy/paste correctly.  When you copy/paste something in windows, it changes a file: "apple.txt" to "Copy of apple.txt"

If you copy again, it gives you "Copy(2) of apple.txt"

Windows doesn't create an entirely new directory structure to put "apple.txt" somewhere.

Besides the obvious problem of having to constantly delete directory structures in Flash Professional CC when copying stuff, it also breaks the functionality of files.

Let me give an example how copy/pasting in library simply does not work because of this:

I have a directory:

_Bri

-Bitmaps

-Movieclips

In Bri/Bitmaps I have the raw .pngs

in Movieclips I have the symbols/movieclips built from them

One movieclip might be called:

PUNCHEAST

It draws from 4 bitmaps in bri/bitmaps

Now where it breaks down is here:

I want to copy PUNCHEAST to make ATTACKEAST using the same .pngs

So I copy PUNCHEAST and paste PUNCHEAST

The directory structure now looks like this:

_Bri

_Bri

-Bitmaps

puncheast1.png

puncheast2.png

puncheast3.png

puncheast4.png

-Movieclips

-PUNCHEAST

-Bitmaps

puncheast1.png

puncheast2.png
    puncheast3.png
    puncheast4.png

-Movieclips

-PUNCHEAST

As you can see, it copied not only the MOVIECLIP container PUNCHEAST, but also all the .pngs too!

Now when I rename PUNCHEAST in the redundant directory to ATTACKEAST, copy it over, and then delete the redundant bitmaps what happens is it ends up being a blank animation:

_Bri

-Bitmaps

puncheast1.png

puncheast2.png
    puncheast3.png
    puncheast4.png

-Movieclips

-Movieclips

-PUNCHEAST

-ATTACKEAST(now is blank because it was referencing the copied .png)

--------------------------------------------------

All this would work fine if instead of copying the entire directory structure, it would have done this when pasting:

_Bri

-Bitmaps

puncheast1.png

puncheast2.png
    puncheast3.png
    puncheast4.png

-Movieclips

-PUNCHEAST

-Copy of PUNCHEAST

That is all.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 20, 2013 10:46 AM   in reply to goodnewsjim

I think you may be doing more work than you need to do here.

If you have one movieClip that you want to replicate on the stage, you only need one original movieClip in the Library. If you drag one instance of the puncheast movieClip onto the stage, you can then name that first instance "puncheast1". Then you can either: drag additional instances of that movieClip to the stage, or, you can copy and paste the puncheast1 movieClip as many times as you need. Then name each new instance of the movieClip as you like.

If you are creating the instances using Actionscript then open the Properties window for the original puncheast movieClip in the Library and set it to Export for Acrionscript and give it a Class name.

In any case, yes, Flash builds up a directory structure for every imported object in the LIbrary. This is done to insure that each item in the Library is unique and that there are no file name or Class name conflicts.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 20, 2013 3:38 PM   in reply to goodnewsjim

Actually, you can avoid most of this by just pasting into the root. For some reason, Flash assumes that is where you want to paste. Or, right-click on the library symbol and select Duplicate Movie Clip. Or, use Swap Instance for Duplicate Symbol (my personal favorite).

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points