Skip navigation
AliPaterson
Currently Being Moderated

Publish a Dreamweaver designed Site to a Wordpress hosted Domain

Dec 20, 2013 1:25 PM

Tags: #dreamweaver #cs6 #wordpress #mamp #dreamweaver_cs6 #domain_name

Hi everyone, I'm very new to this, and been relying on some amazing YouTube tutorials out there!

I've come across a slight problem. I brought a domain name using Wordpress.com and have a rough blog there - very messy.

I've since redesigend the entire website on Dreamweaver CS6 (very proud!) and now have come up against a slight problem - I have no idea how to publish it to the domain name.

I've tried installing wordpress and using MAMP, but havn't been able to find a way at all and been unable to find anyone experiance a similar problem - leading me to belive I'm doing something stupid!

Any help would be very much apreciated!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 20, 2013 2:37 PM   in reply to AliPaterson

WordPress dot com is for hosting dynamic WP sites.

What you have in DW is most likely a static HTML site.

What is your goal:

1) get rid of WP?  (not sure if you can do that on WP.com)

2) make your new DW site work with WP?

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2013 3:57 PM   in reply to AliPaterson

In that case, you'll need to remove the WP .php files from your remote server and replace them with your .html files.  I recommend you contact WP.com to see if this is allowed.   I've never used them as a hosting provider but my impression is that they host nothing but WP sites.  If that's the case, you may need to find a different hosting provider and purchase a new domain name for your new web site.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2013 7:13 PM   in reply to AliPaterson

AliPaterson wrote:

I've come across a slight problem. I brought a domain name using Wordpress.com and have a rough blog there - very messy.

OK it is pretty easy to do.

1) Contact Wordpress.com guys and tell them you want to host a static site somewhere else because they don't allow static sites on their platform;  Therefore, they should give the name of your registrar or you could tell us what is your site called so that we can tell you exactly who your registrar is.

2) You need to find another host to upload your site to.  There are plenty out there; some are pretty cheap and some are little bit expensive.  Some are free and still very good.

3) Ask them or find out yourself by logging into your account,what the DNS is so point to your your site.

4) You now need to log into your registrar's website and enter the dns details for your site.

5) That is it in a nutshell. 

I know for sure that wordpress.com WILL NOT ALLOW YOU TO UPLOAD YOUR OWN SITE.  They say security risk but it is to do with their set-up.

G/L

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points