Skip navigation
Nick Snow
Currently Being Moderated

Photo zooms in PP producing lo-res images from hi res sources

Dec 20, 2013 2:42 PM

Tags: #images #image_processing #lo_res

Greetings - for my job I'm working with a ton of hi res red carpet stills and many of them are oriented in portrait mode. They're all 5+ MB hi res images, so I've got plenty of wiggle room to zoom in on them, but I've noticed that no matter the original resolution, it goes to crap when the zoom is performed in Premiere. Exhibit A:

http://i.imgur.com/8UaAtUz.png

Yet when I bring that same exact image into photoshop and perform the same 250% zoom, export then bring that image into Premiere, it looks like this:

http://i.imgur.com/GoErGiX.png

I'm kind of stumped at this point. Because I'm mostly prepping B roll packages that are somewhat animation-heavy, I can't be prepping all of these in Photoshop. Is there an option to fix the way Premiere processes stills?

Many thanks in advance!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 20, 2013 3:44 PM   in reply to Nick Snow

Don't go over 100% Scale in PP.  Things to tend to degrade after that.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2013 3:54 PM   in reply to Nick Snow

You can feel however you like about it.  I'm just letting you know how to resolve the issue.

But, it's odd that you'd need to scale an mage that large over 100%  You don't have Default Scale to Frame Size checked in the Preferences, do you?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2013 3:59 PM   in reply to Nick Snow

I'm not saying don't drive the car, I'm saying don't go down that back alley.  Stick to the main roads.

The other option (road), as you've noticed, is to scale in PS first, so that you won't need to go over 100%.

But do check that Preference.  I'd expect an image that large to show little more than an eyeball at 100% Scale.  (Unless you're in a 4K sequence.)

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2013 4:05 PM   in reply to Nick Snow

I did add that second part later.

And I'm just a user like you.  I don't work for Adobe.

What exact version of PP are you on?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2013 4:12 PM   in reply to Nick Snow

a lot of times I'm doing moves across photos and need to use the full resolution.

I'm not sure how that disqualifies scaling the image in PS before import into PP as a valid option.  You'd actually end up with a higher res image afterwards.

You might also ask the photographer shoot at a higher res to give you more freedom in post.  (I'm a fan of shooting RAW myself.)

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2013 4:23 PM   in reply to Nick Snow

The scale of that image should be like 33% when resized, but it's showing up as 100% on the timeline

Then you had Scale to Frame Size turned on somewhere.  Right click the image in the sequence.  Is it set there?  Note also that the Preference has to be turned off before import.  Turning it off won't affect images already imported.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2013 4:34 PM   in reply to Nick Snow

Gald you got it worked out.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2013 6:32 PM   in reply to Nick Snow

Yes. If you ask Premiere Pro to rescale the image to fit the frame, it resamples it, it does not just change the scale. Something that comes in very handy if you have a bunch of stills and want them all to fit perfectly without any effort on your part.

It isn't as handy as it was back when we shot 4:3 video and took 4:3 snapshots.

Nowadays, most people don't want to automatically do that.

Keep in mind that you can, if you wish, put a bunch of images on a timeline, change one of them to the percentage of scale that you want to use, and then you can copy and paste the attributes from that one over to all of the rest of them at one time.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points