Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

XMP and DNG

Dec 20, 2013 9:48 PM

Tags: #lightroom #xmp #dng

How does the “Automatically write changes into XMP” setting relate to DNGs? If I keep this unchecked, is metadata still automatically saved into DNGs?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 20, 2013 10:22 PM   in reply to markalanthomas

Yes. xmp metadata is embedded in the dng file.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 21, 2013 1:39 AM   in reply to markalanthomas

By default Lightroom stores metadata (including all the edits you do in the develop module) in the Catalog file, it does not write to the file this includes DNG's.

Metadata can also be written to sidcars or to files in the case of DNG's Tiff's and jpeg's if you choose the option "Automtically write changes to XMP" or use the menu option "Save Metadata to file" (ctrl-S). This is an option you have choose if you wish it to happen.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 21, 2013 3:54 AM   in reply to markalanthomas

How does the “Automatically write changes into XMP” setting relate to DNGs? If I keep this unchecked, is metadata still automatically saved into DNGs?

If unchecked, the metadata is NOT written to the DNGs.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 21, 2013 5:32 AM   in reply to markalanthomas

If I am understanding you properly, this is one of the reasons I use RAW and not DNG, but I do keep this option checked. In this way, only a small sidecar XMP file (10-15KB) is updated when I add metadata and so only this small sidecar XMP file is uploaded. Had I chosen to use DNG, and left the option checked, then I would have to upload a 10-20MB file when I update a keyword or add metadata. Furthermore, if you use RAW and XMP files, with Carbonite (which is what I use), I can tell Carbonite not to upload the XMP files when changed, I assume that CrashPlan has a similar option ... this works because the catalog file contains your edits and metadata, and that is also backed up via Carbonite (and the way I have Carbonite set up, this happens overnight, not every time I make an edit).

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 21, 2013 8:37 AM   in reply to dj_paige

dj_paige wrote:

Had I chosen to use DNG, and left the option checked, then I would have to upload a 10-20MB file when I update a keyword or add metadata.

Funny how often that one comes up! No, you'd just have to review your backup strategy - see http://lightroomsolutions.com/oh-no-you-dont-dng-and-pantomime-season/ .

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 21, 2013 8:50 AM   in reply to john beardsworth

johnbeardy wrote:

you'd just have to review your backup strategy

Actually, you'd have to change your backup strategy, and not everybody wants to do that, just to accomodate the limitations imposed by using DNG (no option for xmp sidecar).

Like embedded xmp? - you're in luck.

Prefer xmp sidecars? - not so lucky...

+1 vote: xmp sidecars for all file types, so originals can be made "read-only", and are guaranteed to never be changed by Lr, yet xmp can still be saved, backed up, the way some of us would prefer.

You say you think your originals may be corrupted by Lr? - make them read-only, and such corruption is most assuredly not being caused by Lr..........

~R.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 21, 2013 9:04 AM   in reply to Rob Cole

OK, change rather than review. And sure, not everyone wants to do it, but they should - or should stop using their limited inabilty to adapt as an excuse to avoid DNG. If they want reasons to avoid it, a better one is patchy support in LR's direct competition.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 21, 2013 9:59 AM   in reply to markalanthomas

markalanthomas wrote:

Thanks, Rob!

You're welcome, but to be clear: I was answering question #1, not question #2 (in original post).

If "Automatically write changes into XMP" is unchecked, xmp metadata will NOT be automatically saved (regardless of file type). - unchecking it is a good thing to do if you:

* Use DNG.

* Don't want to change your backup strategy.

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 21, 2013 9:55 AM   in reply to john beardsworth

johnbeardy wrote:

... they should stop using their limited inabilty to adapt as an excuse to avoid DNG.

Yeah, or just don't use DNG, which is my preference.

johnbeardy wrote:

... patchy support in LR's direct competition.

I agree - yet another good reason not to use DNG.

I suggest Adobe take more steps to minimize the reasons not to use DNG, so people like you don't have to keep trying to convince people like me that they shouldn't have the objections that they have.

An XMP sidecar option for DNG would be a step in the right direction, in my opinion..

Another step in the right direction: work more closely with other vendors to assure DNG support is not so "patchy" maybe even have a "certification" service, so other vendors could advertise "Adobe-certified DNG support" instead of "DNG support - if you're lucky...".

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 21, 2013 3:42 PM   in reply to Rob Cole

I have always agreed that if your sole choice of software for processing raw digital files then adopting a dng workflow is a reasonable option to persue,

If you wish to also utilize other software options then it may not be wise to go that route.

My choice is to use Lightroom as my preference for processing raw files from my cameras. I utilize the Catalog to store and backup my work and have no use for either xmp sidecars or the use of dng files. Period.

Just my choice, others can make the workflow that works best for them.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points