Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Creating a border around objects?

Dec 23, 2013 11:43 PM

Tags: #3d #download #access #gpu #cloud #browsing #operatingsystem #logged_in #cyberspace #cryptocoin #digitized #packet #fiberoptic #2070

This should be simple but as a human being I'm useless and I can't figure it out

I want to create a border around images like the triangles on

this website.

http://www.htmlandcssbook.com/code-samples/chapter-15/example.html

Baby steps please, as I said I'm an invalid

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 24, 2013 12:36 AM   in reply to 420im_sad69

1- Select image layer.

2- Go to Edit menu>Stroke.

3- Adjust stroke options setting (width, color, location, blending mode, opacity).

image stroke.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 24, 2013 12:47 AM   in reply to 420im_sad69

The sample above the location apply to Inside, and as you see it's not rounded.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 24, 2013 2:45 AM   in reply to 420im_sad69

What version of photoshop are you using?

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,053 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Dec 24, 2013 5:51 AM   in reply to 420im_sad69

Capture.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 24, 2013 12:11 PM   in reply to 420im_sad69

Then you cant use the stroke function.

What I would do is create your shape with the photo in it (I am going to assume a triangle as that was your example). and make sure it is on a layer on its own. Then duplicate the layer (Ctrl + J). then Ctrl click on the new layer, this will create a selection of your shape. Fill this shape with the colour that you want for your boarder. Then select free transform (Ctrl + T). Now re size the new filled layer by dragging and clicking on one of the corners whilst holding down Shift and Alt (This will constrain the proportions and also "grow" the new shape from the centre of where your original shape was. Finally move this shape layer below your original image layer and hey presto you have a boarder with sharp corners.

Cheers

John

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,053 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Dec 24, 2013 3:19 PM   in reply to 420im_sad69

420im_sad69 wrote:

That's what I mean, I don't want it to come from inside. This covers up part of the picture I'm using.

You should be able do do what you want using CS6 and CC shape layers no fill and new stroke support with the right setting to get around the normal rounding thhat happens with outside strokes in Photoshop.

Capture.jpg

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,972 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Dec 28, 2013 6:29 PM   in reply to 420im_sad69

I had to think about that one because I thought it couldn't happen, but I think you must be draging one of the centre handles, instead of a corner handle.  Does that sound right?

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,053 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Dec 29, 2013 8:22 AM   in reply to 420im_sad69

Does this help???

Capture.jpg

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,053 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Dec 30, 2013 9:58 AM   in reply to 420im_sad69

I see my screen capture did not help. Look at your own screen capture your transfroming from the center of the layer's bounds not the center of the triangle,  Look at my screen capture and note how I moved the center point of the transform to the center of the triangle.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,053 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Dec 30, 2013 8:25 PM   in reply to 420im_sad69

Did you take trig and geometry in school? If you bisect the angles in a triangle the bisecting lines will meet in the center of the triangle.  Tried to show that with the guide and two white lines I draw for you. Also only equilateral triangle will transform evenly in all three directions.

Capture.jpg

Message was edited by: JJMack

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,053 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Dec 31, 2013 5:46 AM   in reply to 420im_sad69

I'm 73 you will get that math soon hopefully you also get to 73 some day take your time. By 15 I had to take it in school.

Equilateral triangle have three equal length sides and all three angle are 60degree  only these will expand with equal size borders added on the three sides.. Some triangle will expand with two equal size borders other all the borders will be different sizes. Symmetric things like squares and circles expand evenly.

Equilateral triangle:

Capture.jpg

You may find this helpful http://www.mathsisfun.com/geometry/symmetry-line-plane-shapes.html

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,053 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Jan 3, 2014 4:56 AM   in reply to 420im_sad69

I drew them with the brush tool. Set the brush to one pixel move the cursor to end point of line click once move cursor to other end the use shift click Photoshop will draw straight line.  the blue line are guide lines I set using %. to precisely layout the guide lines  You can use other tools for drawing lines the line too for example. The Pen tool Photoshop has many tools and there are often more the one way to do thing in Photoshop.

Photoshop can also align things for you and snap points to guide line.  Photoshop will also constrain thing for you to the current aspect ratio or to equal like Squares circles symmetric polygons. Draw a equilateral triangle shape layer.  Do a select all to select the whole canvas target the shape layer and use menu layer>Align layers to Selection>vertical center the repeat to horizontal center to center triangle. Or use the aligning icons in the option bar if there. More the one way to do many things,

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,972 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Jan 3, 2014 5:07 AM   in reply to JJMack

Interesting thread JJ

If you have Snap turned on, and copy the triangle, you can move the copy to snap edge to edge with the first triangle.  That gives you reference points to draw your intersect lines between.  The move the copied triangle to another edge, and repeat.  However it's kind of clunky, so better to lay some guide lines that intersect the centre, and start from that intersect with the polygon tool using the Alt key.  Only works with an equilateral triangle of course.

Polygons with an even number of sides will have a bounding box with a center point in the center of the polygon, so no problem. 

I am afraid I have not read every word in the thread, so may be off at a tangent.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points