Skip navigation
johnclarity
Currently Being Moderated

CS6 Clip/track editing question, zooming question

Dec 28, 2013 11:30 AM

Tags: #cs6 #zoom #send_to_back #clip_edit

Hi folks, I had another account here but it won't let me log in.

I've just done my first tracking session in CS6 after using AA3 for years. I liked a lot of features such as the intelligent snapping when I'm resizing overdub clips, but there's a few things that baffle me.

Clips and tracks - is there any way to lock a clip so that it's always on top? This was absolutely infuriating today when I was doing overdubs. If I needed to do something like a boundary edit on the original file, it would go on top of the overdub clip and I'd have to use the annoying Send To Back option. Can I set anything so that the new file always remains on top?

Also, in AA3 instead of this Send To Back option, wasn't there a possibility to choose which clip you wanted to bring to the top?

Zooming - this was highly frustrating today too. When I'd be working on a track and had it (or clips on it) highlighted, I'd want to zoom in to do a small move or a crossfade or something. The Vertical Zoom bears no relation to the actual track I'm working on which is infuriating - Zoom In just seems to focus on random tracks and I have to scroll down or up to get back to the track I was working on! This is pretty daft, is there any setting I can change so that Vertical Zoom keeps the highlighted track on screen?

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 6, 2014 11:16 AM   in reply to johnclarity

Hi John,

The multi-take workflow in Audition is definitely an area ripe for improvement.  Currently, as you've discovered, it's a fairly manual process to track and preview stacked clips.  Are you recording and mixing music, voiceovers, or something else?

As for the zoom commands, new commands were introduced in Audition CC for zoom behaviors (zooming to cursor, zooming entire selected track...) but from your post, I can see similar zoom shortcuts being useful, too, such as zooming into selected clip on both axes. 

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,610 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Jan 6, 2014 2:20 PM   in reply to johnclarity

You are looking for logic where there is none!

As for the zooming, that's easy - it will centre itself on the exact position of the cursor (not the song position pointer) when you do it.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,610 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Jan 6, 2014 2:38 PM   in reply to johnclarity

Try it with the Ctrl key held down...

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,610 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Jan 7, 2014 8:35 AM   in reply to johnclarity

johnclarity wrote:

No combination of CTRL, ALT etc works to change the zoom.

It does, but whoops, I got it the wrong way around - this makes it zoom horizontally when held over the clips (same behaviour as holding it over the zoom bar).

What's happening on the Vertical Zoom In is that it just expands the screen from the top track. So if you kept zooming in, you eventually just see the first track. Utterly daft. I mean, utterly utterly daft.

Adobe - when I select a track or clip in the Multitrack view and press "zoom in", I would love to actually zoom in on THAT track rather than the FIRST TRACK of the session. Cheers.

Okay, here's all the stuff you didn't discover:

Vertical scrolling and zooming in Multitrack view is different according to where the mouse is positioned when you do it. If you hold the mouse over the vertical scroll bar, the results will vary according to where you hold it on the bar (yes really!). If you hold it at the top, then you get what you describe above - but if you hold it in the middle, it will zoom around that point. If you hold it at the bottom, it will zoom to the lowest part of your display. If you hold the mouse over the display, it will simply scroll vertically. Okay, the behaviour is a bit flaky (well I think it is) but it does sort-of work.

In Waveform view, you can achieve vertical zooming-in on a waveform by holding the mouse over the dB scale and using the wheel there, instead of on the waveform (which scrolls horizontally).

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,610 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Jan 7, 2014 8:56 AM   in reply to johnclarity

johnclarity wrote:

And what I really want is to be able to select a track or clip, hit ALT= and zoom vertically in on it.

That's what it won't do - and I agree that it would be much more sensible behaviour.

But I don't quite get how I make the middle behaviour happen?

It works for me, but only if I shrink the scroll bar and centre it over the track (that's really the flaky bit). If you do this, and mouse on the centre of it, it should zoom into just that track.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2014 9:09 AM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

I got my old account working! It's still me here. Well, thanks for trying to help. I've just downloaded the trial of CC and it's invalidated my license for CS6. It won't start at all now. Argh.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,610 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Jan 7, 2014 9:23 AM   in reply to th23434

Ooh that should not have happened!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2014 9:29 AM   in reply to th23434

Invalidated your CS6 license?  No, that's not right.  When you launch Audition CS6, can you tell me exactly what it says?  A screenshot would be very helpful.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2014 9:30 AM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

Ha!!! Should I be surprised? I did the Pro Tools beginner course over Christmas...

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2014 9:31 AM   in reply to _durin_

Yup, thanks - it says "Your license could not be validated - Audition must now shut down". Is this because Creative Cloud replaced Application Manager?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2014 10:22 AM   in reply to th23434

I'm going to have someone from the licensing team get in touch with you.  They'll be better able to diagnose licensing issues. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2014 10:47 AM   in reply to _durin_

Thanks, I'd appreciate that very much. Installing CC updated the Application Manager and now I can't work :S

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points