Skip navigation
jkhunts
Currently Being Moderated

Included with Adobe Premiere Elements is the SmartSound® Quicktracks® plug-in

Dec 28, 2013 5:32 PM

How do I get the plug in for Smartsound Quictracks? It says I can get Quicktrack Soundtracks from the Music Panel, but I can't find it. So do I need to download the plug in? If so, how do I do it?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 28, 2013 5:35 PM   in reply to jkhunts

jkhunts

For now I am assuming that you are using Premiere Elements 11 Windows. If not so, stop and report back.

If Premiere Elements 11 Windows

1. http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/kb/installing-smartsound.html

then if necessary

2. https://www.smartsound.com/support/updates?product=sfp5

Please let us know if the above works for you.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 28, 2013 5:43 PM   in reply to jkhunts

jkhunts

That puts an end to that issue. This is no SmartSound/Sonicfire Pro 5 feature in Premiere Elements 12.

Premiere Elements 11 is the one with the Music Tab header for access to SmartSound soundtracks.

In version 12, there is an Audio Tab which now has Music Scores and Sound Tracks. The Music Scores work off the same concept as the SmartSound soundtracks but are not. By same concept, I mean altering the duration on the soundtrack clip without altering the music arrangement.

Please check out my blog posts on Premiere Elements 12 First Look and Daily Discoveries.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/09/premiere-elements-12-first-look -details.html

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/09/pe12-daily-discoveries.html

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 28, 2013 6:19 PM   in reply to jkhunts

jkhunts

You can download your own soundtracks as .wav and import them into a Premiere Elements 12 project.

But, if you are looking for the perk of being able to alter the soundtrack duration without disturbing the music arrangement, then it looks like Audio Tab/Music Scores.

Typically the SmartSound file duration was done within its workspace before the file was introduced into the Premiere Elements workspace. That is all gone now. So, right now I am thinking just Audio Tab/Music Scores for Premiere Elements 12.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 29, 2013 8:00 AM   in reply to jkhunts

so I’m limited to the audio soundtracks that Adobe provides? I can’t download my own soundtracks?

For direct access to SmartSound from PrE 12 - that is mostly correct.

However, you can download and install SmartSound Sonicfire Pro (the non "Scoring" edition is free, but either will work this way), then use SmartSound music in it. You will be doing the music editing in a stand-alone program, not accessed directly through PrE, as in previous versions. When done, just Export your SmartSound Timeline as a PCM/WAV, per ATR's instructions, and Import that into PrE.

Note: QuickTracks was an older SmartSound plug-in for earlier versions of PrE (and PrPro, AE, etc.), and was replaced by Sonicfire Pro, which was either a stand-alone, or available as a plug-in for earlier PrE, or PrPro and AE). For a long time, Sonicfire Pro was only available as a full-paid stand-alone, but that was changed a few years ago. However, with PrE 12, only the Adobe Scores is included IN PrE.

For background on SmartSound (before PrE 12), see this article: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5316359#5316359

For PrE 12, ATR covers the new Adobe Scores very well in his blog post.

If you have SmartSound music, and wish to use it in PrE 12, if my instructions above are not clear, just let us know. I can step you though the process - just remember it will be done with a stand-alone version of Sonicfire Pro, which will NOT be launched from PrE 12.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2013 3:38 AM   in reply to jkhunts

You are most welcome, and if you have any questions, or run into any problems, please let us know, and someone can step you through the process.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2013 6:45 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt

Could you clarify? What is the downloaded free standalone Sonicfire Pro 5 supposed to be doing? Is it just providing free soundtracks for which one does not have the perk of altering the music file duration without impacting the music arrangement? Is that perk of "Music Scoring" then only found in Sonicfire Pro 5 standalone that must be purchased?

In the case of the free Sonicfire Pro 5 situation, what is doing the conversion to WAV or are all the soundtracks in the free version of Sonicfire Pro 5 in the WAV format?

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2013 8:01 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

ATR,

The free version of SmartSound's Sonicfire Pro 5 is only lacking the power of the Scoring Edition (about US $ 100, IIRC). It will handle all SmartSound music. When I bought my version, of the Scoring Edition, I got the physical media, and it came with several discs of SmartSound music. I do not know if the free version has any music, or not, but all SmartSound music will work.

With either version (free, or full-paid), one can do the creation of a music file, to the required Duration, and can add more SmartSound music to that Timeline. Much editing can be done in either version, with the full capabilities available only in the full-paid version. Those capabilities are only available if one is using SmartSound's Multi-track music (mostly in the Strata Series music).

As an example of the capabilities of the Scoring Edition, I selected one of the Strata Multi-track passages, and set the Duration, as needed. That piece included Violin, Bass Guitar, Drums, Piano, Synth, Pads and Rhythm Guitar - each separate, and separately editable. I started with just the Violin, then added other instruments, adjusting the volume of each, as needed, until I had the full compliment of all instruments. Then, at certain points, I went to only the Piano, and at another, the Bass Guitar, going back to the full compliment of instruments, though with varying volumes for each.

Much of that is possible with the free version of Sonicfire Pro 5, but not all.

With PrE 12, there is no ability to launch Sonicfire Pro 5 (either edition) from within Premiere, as there was in PrE 11. The "plug-in" ability does not exist, as far as I can tell. However, Sonicfire Pro 5 (either edition), can be launched as a stand-alone program. As Sonicfire Pro 5 can Import Video, even with its Audio, I just output a "reference file," containing both the Video, and any Audio from my finished PrE Timeline. That is Imported into Sonicfire Pro 5, and visible (and audible) in Sonicfire Pro 5, where I then add my SmartSound music, as I desire, and edit that. When done, I output JUST the SmartSound Timeline as a PCM/WAV @ 48KHz 16-bit, for Import into PrE.

[Edit] In the case of the SmartSound music, from my libraries, all of the music is in .SDS format. I get the WAV with Export.

I hope that answers your questions, but if not, please let me know where I need clarification.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2013 8:24 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt,

Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge and experiences with SmartSound/Sonicfire Pro 5.

I will check out the details and, if necessary, take you up on your offer for clarification of this standalone program's features.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2013 8:38 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

ATR,

There will be no problem with addressing this in more detail. Heck, I usually learn something new in the process.

Until one of your earlier threads, I did not realize that the SmartSound music, included with PrE 11 was in WAV format. I only knew the regular SmartSound .SDS format. I do not know exactly how those two differ, but the format and extension were new to me - I had never really looked before.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2013 8:51 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt

Regarding file extension, I suspect the difference between .SDS and .WAV is comparable to .prel (as in project.prel file) and .mov or the like (as in the file extension of an export from a Premiere Elements project).

In versions earlier than 12, the SmartSound or Sonicfire Pro 5 soundtrack was cut in the workspace for that SmartSound or Sonicfire Pro 5 program and never was sent to the Premiere Elements workspace as anything other than .WAV.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2013 9:10 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

I agree with that, as the .SDS format can only be opened with some version of SmartSound, from what I can tell.

That the PrE 11 SmartSound music library files ARE in .WAV was new to me, as I was unaware that SmartSound (Sonicfire Pro here) could actively edit .WAV files, hence my surprise. I can Import other WAV files, but the editing of those in Sonicfire Pro does not work - there has got to be a difference, but I have yet to find out what that is. If I can, I will report in this thread.

Keep prodding me, as I WILL learn something new - I am certain of it.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2013 10:07 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt

You may have detoured a bit on your post 15 here. I did not write the following in the context that I suspect might be read by some

That the PrE 11 SmartSound music library files ARE in .WAV was new to me

Let me recap my observations so we are in sync

Premiere Elements 11 Windows

SmartSound/Sonicfire Pro 5....

In the Program Data area, these soundtracks are in the .SDS format

The opened Premiere Elements 11 Windows/Music Tab/"Use SmartSound" link leads you to

the SmartSound/Sonicfire Pro 5 workspace where I do not see a designation for format, so assuming files are still .SDS there.

After you select and cut the soundtrack in the SmartSound/Sonicfire Pro 5 workspace and click Send there, you end up with a WAV file placed on the Premiere Elements 11 workspace Soundtrack.

If you do a Project Archiver/Archive or Copy for a project with one of these SmartSound/Sonicfire Pro 5 soundtracks included, the soundtrack file in the archived folder is .WAV.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2013 12:40 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

ATR,

You are correct. I read that the wrong way. Sorry.

You are also correct that the SmartSound music files are .SDS, and the output is .WAV.

My apologies.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points