Skip navigation
tepor
Currently Being Moderated

Embedding an Animation in a JPEG

Dec 28, 2013 4:44 PM

I've seen a lot of JPEG files with simple animations embedded in them.

Problem is, if I add animation frames to a file, I can only save it as a GIF. I don't want to save non-animated layers in GIF format. The quality doesn't cut it.

So, whats the trick to saving animated frames in a file format other than GIF?

Thanks

Replies
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,829 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Dec 28, 2013 6:14 PM   in reply to tepor

You can't save the finished animation as a JPG.  You know that, right?  There are various options how to render the final product right up to incredibly high quality 4K video. 

The nearest thing I can think of in the way of an animated JPG, is this cheeky AV by buddy Bret Lucas.  It uses 1200 still frames (JPGs) shot at 5 frames per second on a Nikon D3.    It was shot in reverse as paint was 'added' to young lady, who BE WARNED is otherwise quite naked!   Very nicely done though.

Bret is the best studio photographer I know.  FStop Studios

Another Warning.  This contains inappropriate content, albeit very artfully done

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,829 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Dec 28, 2013 10:59 PM   in reply to tepor

Check this old thread.  Marion is a real expert with moving images, so what she says is definitive.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/636367

What you might have seen are hyperlinks.  For instance this file looks like a JPG

drive_you_crazy.jpg

But it is actually a GIF.  You can usually hover over links on web pages, and emails, and see the real target at the bottom of the page.  Definitely a good habit to get into with email if you want to avoid disaster.

[EDIT]  Yes, it works like I said.  Hover of the link and look at the bottom left corner of the browser window.

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,829 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Dec 29, 2013 2:38 AM   in reply to tepor

Are you saying that you have animated JPG files on your hard drive?  Can you upload one to Dropbox, or link to one on the web?

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,971 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Dec 29, 2013 1:55 PM   in reply to tepor

You can create animated PNG files but all browsers do not support them. With Photoshop CS6 and CC you can render mpg4 video and loop them in browsers pages. Here is a link to some Animated PNG. See if your browser just displays the first frame or display the animation. I use Google Chrome browser there is an extension for it the will display PNG animation files. http://mouseprints.net/old/dpr/APNG/

A mp4 video rendered with Photoshop. Video can not have a transparent background as far as I know when I tried the video rendered by Photoshop had a black background. So I added a white background http://mouseprints.net/old/dpr/JJMackAniMp4Loop.html

Message was edited by: JJMack

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points