• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Body page text frames not updating from Master pages

Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2013 Dec 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've changed the position and size of the text frame on both the Left and Right master pages of my document. But the Body pages are not updating to show the changes, even though I select Remove Overrides when I switch the view to Body pages. And when I go to Master page view again, each time I switch back to Body page view, I get the message that I have overrides on all of my pages.

To get the correct text frame on the Body page,  I have had to change the frame on each Body page individually. And I still get the overrides message each time I switch from Master page view to Body page view.

Is what I'm describing a known bug? I've  searched the forums and have found reports that people are getting the override message when they are sure they do not have overrides. But I have not yet found the exact problem that I'm reporting.

I have a large number of documents to convert to new text frames. I do not want to have to change every page individually for all of these documents.

TOPICS
Formatting and numbering

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 30, 2013 Dec 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any chance your Body pages are actually assigned to MP's other than "Left" and "Right"?

If you don't have any other MPs, never mind.

if you do:

View > Reference Pages

page down to

MasterPageMaps

if it doesn't exist, never mind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response. But my Body pages are using the Right and Left Master pages for certain. What is baffling is that the headers and footers from the master pages update just fine. It's just the text frames that won't update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try manually re-applying the Master Pages using the Format > Page Layout > Master Page Usage... and selecting the Right/Left master page option and specify the entire range of pages in the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 31, 2013 Dec 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> It's just the text frames that won't update.

Any chance that someone manually added new text frames on the body pages?

In addition to Arnis' suggestion, you can also try a

Format > Page Layout > Apply Master Pages

which will create a default use-Left-Right

MasterPageMaps

table if one does not yet exist.

If that stll doesn't work, and local page text frames are ruled out, something more degenerate may be going on. Try a MIF wash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Dec 31, 2013 Dec 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonnie,

If the headers and footers update, then the master pages are being applied. The new master pages just aren't affecting the flows you want to change. Are the flow names on the master pages and the body pages the same? Applying master pages only affects text frames on the body pages that have the same names as those on the master pages.

--Lynne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jan 01, 2014 Jan 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen frustratingly odd things go on when, by some unnoticed accident, I've acquired a duplicate text frame on a master page – see whether moving the first frame you see on a master page reveals an ancestor hidden underneath. I imagine that changes made by any normal approach will affect the invisible/hidden ancestor rather than the upstart.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 02, 2014 Jan 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I appreciate everyone's suggestions. They got me to thinking in the right direction, and I have figured out what was wrong.  I had inherited a book with no text frames on the master pages; the author had drawn the text frames on the Body pages instead. Then I made the mistake of copying the Body page text frames to the Master Pages; but this didn't work because the copied frames did not have a text flow associated with them. So the fix was to redraw the text frames on the master pages so they get a text flow assigned. Now the Body pages do update from the Master pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines