Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Quadro or FirePro

Dec 30, 2013 10:45 PM

Are there any known problems with Nvidia Quadro or AMD FirePro cards in PS CC or LR5 ? Anyone running these on a 10 bit monitor without any performance issues , if so which card and model ? Is one card a better performer than the other ?

Replies
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,972 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Dec 31, 2013 1:19 AM   in reply to Grousehunter 12

JJ Mac uses a Quadro with Windows (I believe 7)  Operating system is probably crucial as Windows 8.1 has been problematic with some graphic card drivers.

But I have to ask why you are considering those cards?  You wouldn't need them for Photoshop, but Premiere Pro and After Effects would make use of them.  Personally, I prefer high end nVidia GTX cards over the Quadro.  Head over to the Premiere Pro Hardware forum for truly informed opinion on system building for Adobe applications.

http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere/hardware_forum

Also check out the Video Guys DIY build guides.  This is a good time to be system building for graphics applications

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,045 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Dec 31, 2013 8:21 AM   in reply to Grousehunter 12

I have a old Quadro 4000 only because it was included in a workstation I purchased at a great price.  Its not needed for good Photoshop Performance.  The Card will also not drive a 4K display.  The newer Quadro K4000 can.  The 4000 and K4000 cost $700. The same price as a GTX 780 Ti screamer. I do not have a good Display yet...

I have had no problems with any Nividia Driver I have installed. I have install evey new one released.  I only install ATI drivers on my other system that have been reported good by users like Noel.   Both manufactures make good hardware and compete with each other.  Nvidia seem to test drivern better then AMD test their ATI drivers.

Capture.jpg

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,045 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Dec 31, 2013 10:11 AM   in reply to Grousehunter 12

I think I read that the Linux GTX drivers support 10 bit. there is some 10 bit Windows stuff but not for pro applications like Premier and Photoshop.  I see a lot of Adobe finger point when there is hardware and operating system involved. In other words there is always some finger being pointed which one are you using????

Photoshop does not use the GPU for much Premier Pro with After effects would. Photoshop does not need a screamer. Every thing in Photoshop operates smooth rotation liquify is fast and smooth if there is a studder or a black box happens it not something I remember seeing I usually  notice thing that are not normal... Thing like large wet brushes have noticeable lag. However that is more a processor speed thing for that type of process does not benefit from multi threads and processors it more a sequencial process.

The k4000 and 4000 both go for $700 the K4000 is faster has more vram and supports more displays up to 4 and does 4k.  The 4000 is old don't get unless you get it cheap.  I feel mine was free.

I got my system from dell's outlet it was all of three months old. I wanted cheep dual 6 core xeons E5-2620 or 2630 + SSD a Fast Disk and a dvd.   The 4000 was gravy.

Dell Outlet Precision Fixed Workstation T5600, 825W Tower

Genuine Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit Operating System DVD

Processor: Intel Xeon Dual Six Core E5-2620 Processor (2.0GHz, 15M, 7.2 GT/s,Turbo)

2GB NVIDIA Quadro 4000, Dual Monitor, 2DP & 1DVI (max resolution 2560x1600 two)

8GB, DDR3 RDIMM Memory, 1600MHz, ECC (4 DIMMS)

PERC H310 RAID Controller

256 GB Solid State Drive

500 GB SATA, 3.5 Inch, 10K Hard Drive

8X DVD +/- RW Optical Drive

English  Keyboard

Dell USB Optical Mouse

Precision T5600: 3 Year Basic Hardware Service with 3 Year

$2,029.00 Dell Outlet      

+ $180 4TB external USB3 Disk

+ $316 32GB ECC memory 

Total $2,525,00

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 31, 2013 10:24 AM   in reply to Grousehunter 12

I have a Firepro V4900. At first, I was having issues, and had to turn off 10-bit, but after upgrading from Win8 to Win8.1 and updating the driver from AMD, it worked fine. Both CS6 and CC.

Well, there was an issue with a stupid firmware "feature" on my Dell U2713H, which took a lot of searching to track down, and just needed to be turned off in the menu. So fun, new OS, Video, and Monitor, trying to find what's causing which problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 31, 2013 6:02 PM   in reply to Grousehunter 12

I am glad you asked. I just did try the ramp test, and had visible banding. I then went to check the Catalyst Control Center, and most of the options that had been there were missing! Seems the latest driver I had was really for Radeons, not Fire Pros.

After I rolled the driver back, I checked, and 10-bit was enabled. I think the banding is because I am using a Greytag-MacBeth [x-Rite] Eye-1 and Eye-1 Match software for calibration, not the new Eye-1 Display Pro and Dell's Ultrasharp Calibration software. I may get the new colorimeter eventually, but first I have to save up for a new printer [old one died recently]. I'm not familiar with the Asus, so I don't know if it would have a simialr problem.

Mind you, I'm not getting bad results with this current setup, but I'm not taking full advantage of the hardware capabilities. So many links in the chain to consider.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 31, 2013 7:45 PM   in reply to Grousehunter 12

You may want to also ask on the Color Management Forum.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 1, 2014 4:57 PM   in reply to Grousehunter 12

Both Quadro and FirePro cards should provide 10 bit output using CS6 when both PS and the driver have 10 bit support enabled. However there is a problem with some FirePro cards not driving 10 bit output using PS CC on Windows 7 and 8. This is a must fix bug that is actively being worked on.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 1, 2014 6:41 PM   in reply to Grousehunter 12

As far as I know all 10 bit Quadro and FirePro cards should be supported. If anyone has troubles they should report it as a bug so we can get it fixed. I am not aware of any FirePro card giving 10 bits output using PS CC, but then, I only have access to a few, not all of them. There are no problems reported with Quadro 10 bit support that I know of.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 1, 2014 8:39 PM   in reply to Grousehunter 12

If I had been able to afford that NEC monitor I was dreaming about for so long, I could be using my current Eye-1, rather than having to spring for the newer model. The NEC is more expensive than my new Dell and the new Eye-1 DisplayPro combined, though. For both, you need to use the monitor manufacturer's software to be effective, I think.

I was looking on my system, and found the original ICC profile shipped with my Dell. I'm going to try activating it, and see if that gives me the smooth ramp. I'll let you know my results.

I was looking at the Asus web site, and didn't see any mention of user hardware calibration. When I run the Eye-1 Match software every week for my Dell, there's not any noticable difference from the previous profile, so just using the supplied calibration could well be fine.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2014 3:28 PM   in reply to Grousehunter 12

OK, now that things are quieted down from the New Year's festivities, I checked things out carefully. Using the most recent profile I got from my Eye-1, and 10-bit enabled from the FirePro Control Center, I first loaded ramp.psd into Pshop CS6. NO BANDING! Closed CS6, and opened ramp.psd in Pshop CC. Banding clearly visible!

Disabled 10-bit and restarted. Both CS6 and CC showed banding. Re-enabled 10-bit, and results were as before:no banding in CS6, banding in CC.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2014 11:06 AM   in reply to Grousehunter 12

I filed a bug report with Adobe; hope that helps get the wheels turning

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2014 2:19 PM   in reply to Grousehunter 12

According to this thread on AMD's support forum, "This issue is being investigated by Adobe and AMD".

They have been aware of this for at least six months, yet Adobe seems to be quite tight-lipped about it

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2014 3:21 PM   in reply to Grousehunter 12

As far as AMD FirePro cards are concerned -- yes, but that is not an Adobe issue. With Windows 7 and some FirePro cards for instance one had better not use the Aero in combination with 10 bit color depth. I only found out when I ran into a support document from EIZO. But leaving out the details here just that much that I ditched my ATI FirePro and put a non-OEM K4000 into my Lenovo D20 and since than absolutely no problems anymore, neither with Adobe PS CS6 nor CC nor LR nor Sony Vegas nor anything else anymore.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jan 3, 2014 3:34 PM   in reply to jheinzl

Don't discount the possibility of running a "gamer" card and getting all the functionality you desire for a lot less money.

One day soon I will be getting a Dell U3014 display, which will operate in 10 bits/channel mode.  What I don't know without actually wiring it up and testing it myself is whether I will be able to achieve 10 bit color with my ATI 7850 card, though the information I've found says it can be made to work. 

Few enough people have braved the territory that I've yet to meet someone who's said, "ya, I've done that with that card and that monitor, and it works".

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2014 4:42 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

To be honest, 10-bit isn't that big a deal for me. I mean, I've done without it for years, right? But now that I have the hardware that should support it, though, I'm a little put off the way AMD says "It's Adobe's fault!", and Adobe says "No, it's AMD's fault!"

I say, "You both go to your rooms, and don't come out until you can give me an app and a driver that play nice together". [insert rolling eyes emoticon here]

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2014 9:22 PM   in reply to Grousehunter 12

I forgot to mention that  enabling 10-bit on the FirePro messes up the Windows clipboard; colors turn all psychedelic when pasted.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,045 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Jan 10, 2014 7:55 AM   in reply to Grousehunter 12

Perhaps being a little colorblind like myself and 10% of men in this world is a blessing. We not obsessed with colors for its pointless for us.  While I see color quite well I just work on the gray areas make them neutral by the numbers not by my color vision. Calibrating a IPS display that has a wide angle of view with software is all I need, color need not be perfect... A 6Bit IPS LCD display that use emulation to display 16M color is good for me.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2014 3:40 PM   in reply to Grousehunter 12

Well it's a driver issue" is a pretty much the standard presumption of fault, but fact is I simply do not care and I'd had problems with PS CS6, too ranging from the, well known to ATI users, "ATI graphics driver has stopped responding" message, even with my old run-of-the-mill LCD, to black screens that required me to disconnect the machine from the power supply to let discharge all capacitors as otherwise I could not get back a picture again at all. All that even with the latest and greatest driver release available.

So perhaps latter ATI cards with their newer drivers work great or ATI cards work great with Windows 8.x or with OS X or

when putting my left big toe too into my right ear -- I personally simply do not care anymore and it's only from my personal experiences why I do advice against ATI cards by now and my ATI was Lenovo branded even (the stopped delivering their workstations with ATI cards some time ago though ...)

If it works so much the better of course. If it does not, though --  "You have been warned."

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,972 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Jan 11, 2014 12:54 PM   in reply to JJMack

JJMack wrote:

Perhaps being a little colorblind like myself and 10% of men in this world is a blessing. We not obsessed with colors for its pointless for us.  While I see color quite well I just work on the gray areas make them neutral by the numbers not by my color vision. Calibrating a IPS display that has a wide angle of view with software is all I need, color need not be perfect... A 6Bit IPS LCD display that use emulation to display 16M color is good for me.

A few people had a go at this test a while back, and it was useful because it tells about your monitor as well as your own ability to see the colours.  In fact, I wonder how good it is as a test for colour blindness, because you can get it right by comparing tonal values of adjacent cards.

http://www.xrite.com/online-color-test-challenge

I suspect that this is a much better test for colour blindness.  It starts off too easy for words, but gets progressively more tricky

http://colorvisiontesting.com/ishihara.htm

I totally agree about it being a waste to obsess over this sort of thing, or anything that approaches the realms of pixel-peeping.  

The link for the Passmark scores

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,045 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Jan 11, 2014 8:43 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

http://www.dl-c.com/colorblindness.html I cab see the 25 clear as day the 50 is quite clear the 8 is hard for me with work I can get the 45 the 29 I can see there might be two numbers in the  forget about the , I know he number exist because messing with hue I see them.

Capture.jpg

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jan 11, 2014 9:26 PM   in reply to JJMack

JJMack wrote:

the 50 is quite clear

That's 56. 

-Noel