Skip navigation
GIRI_RAGHU
Currently Being Moderated

Text is reflowed in InDesign CS3

Jan 2, 2014 4:55 AM

While opening older version InDesign CS3 document into InDesign CS3, the text is reflowed, The fonts and version are same (OTF), Please advice.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 2, 2014 5:08 AM   in reply to GIRI_RAGHU

Text engines change from version to version. It is expected behavior for text to reflow when you open an older version file in a newer version and begin to edit.

Your message is a bit confusing, though, since you said you you were opeing CS3 files in CS3....

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2014 3:09 AM   in reply to GIRI_RAGHU

@GIRI_RAGHU – Did you intall newer packages of CS or CC recently?

Maybe the fonts are not exactly the same versions anymore?

(The names are the same, also the vendor, but…)

Did you check the exact version number of the fonts? (Maybe this is impossible right now, because you never stored the old font's version numbers to the point before).

Uwe

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2014 5:25 AM   in reply to GIRI_RAGHU

Perhaps the files were created in a prelease version? And are you certain they are really CS3 files.

You can check the file history  from the advanced About InDesign dialog. On Windows, hold down the Ctrl key while selecting About InDesign from the Help menu. On Mac hold down the Cmd key and make the same selection from the InDesign menu.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2014 5:55 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

May memory on this one may be a bit clouded but I don’t think a CS3 prerelease file would open in the final release software. That changed somewhere along the line but I’m not sure where.

The document history is definitely the best bet but I would also be looking for the Re: Text is reflowed in InDesign CS3 "[converted]" in the file name when opened.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2014 5:46 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

What does "but I would also be looking for the Re: Text is reflowed in InDesign CS3 in the file name when opened" mean?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2014 5:55 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

I have no idea why that happened. I typed in the word converted in brackets as it would appear in the file name if you opened a file from an earlier version of InDesign. I guess I should edit that.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2014 8:12 AM   in reply to GIRI_RAGHU

@GIRI_RAGHU – hmm, what else can force a reflow of text?

If you edit the document in certain ways. E.g. if you add or remove text. Or if you apply an object with text wrap. But the reflow should only affect certain paragraphs and not the whole text composition. Unless you are using variable text that is trying to update or if you create or update a table of contents.

AND: the old composition stems from an older InDesign CS version (CS2 or below), opened and saved unchanged (not edited) with CS3.

Other reasons? I'm out in the dark…
    Updating the version to a newer bug fix version than before? Yes. That could be.
    Adding more features through 3rd party plug-ins? Yes. We can consider this as well…

Uwe

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2014 4:59 AM   in reply to GIRI_RAGHU

Did the text reflow before you started making the corrections? It's starting to sound like an editing issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2014 5:30 AM   in reply to GIRI_RAGHU

That's not likely. Hypenation settings should be saved in the document. Was this file opened from .inx?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2014 11:32 PM   in reply to GIRI_RAGHU

Such a reflow can be caused by changed user dictionaries if your document relies not on the embedded but on the computer's dictionary.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points