Skip navigation
chanmalagallery
Currently Being Moderated

Which program is best for fine art images?

Jan 3, 2014 11:57 AM

I am a watercolor artist who captures and prints her own fine art images using Epson R2880 printer and Epson Fine Art Velvet paper.  I have thus far only used Picasa... but am now ready to step it up to Adobe... I am on the trial membership for the Cloud.. but am overwhelmed by all the programs available, like Photoshop CC and Dreamweaver... I have no idea what the differences are and which one would be best for my needs... I am really only adjusting my images for white balance, color balance, contrast, hue and saturation etc... and need to be able to isolate certain sections of the image at times to do that... (which I can't with basic programs like Picasa).  Please help!!!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 3, 2014 2:07 PM   in reply to chanmalagallery

I am really only adjusting my images for white balance, color balance, contrast, hue and saturation etc... and need to be able to isolate certain sections of the image at times to do that...

The most obvious starting point for those tasks is Photoshop CC. Those tools are part of Photoshop's bread and butter.

Many illiustrators also use Illustrator CC for line art work.

Got a link to examples of your work online so we can see what you're trying to achieve?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2014 6:45 PM   in reply to John Waller

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2014 7:39 PM   in reply to chanmalagallery

Welcome to the forum.

Within the Adobe "stable," I agree about Ps and AI.

However, for "real media," you might also wish to explore Corel's Painter. It has some wonderful watercolor capabilities.

I use all of the above programs, depending on exactly what I need, and never hesitate to mix the programs to my satisfaction.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2014 7:52 PM   in reply to chanmalagallery

If you are scanning your watercolor art and printing digitally, and only using software to tweak its appearance, not to add new digital artwork elements, Photoshop is best for you.  Photoshop CS6 will do everything you need at a steep one-time cost, or you can pay monthly for Photoshop CC.

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,873 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 3, 2014 11:31 PM   in reply to Michael D Sullivan

My goodness!  You have jumped straight in with a full Creative Cloud subscription?  Way to go, as we say in this part of the world. 

Ahhh...  Just read your post again, and I see you are on the trial.   The Photographer's bundle deal would have been ideal for you, with Photoshop and Lightroom for just $10 a month, but you have just missed that, unless you have previously owned and Adobe application.    But Photoshop is the way to go if you only want the one application.

There some great learning aids on Adobe TV, or get a sunscription to Lynda.com for a few months.

Someone mentioned Illustrator for line art.  After using Photoshop since it was first released fo the PC, I have recently started learning Illustrator, and I'm having one jaw dropping moment after another.  I had no idea it could do so much.  So that might be worth considering, but only in addition to Photoshop.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points