Skip navigation
Scrappytate
Currently Being Moderated

Opening photo in Editor problem

Jan 3, 2014 12:55 PM

I just installed PSE 12 on my new iMac. When I try to open a photo from iPhoto, I am getting the following message, "Could not complete your request because Photoshop Elements does not recognize this type of file." How do I access my photos to edit them?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 3, 2014 3:13 PM   in reply to Scrappytate

The problem here does not seem to be the ability to access your files, but something going on with the files themselves. Generally, this error appears because the file extension is incorrect. For examle, the file name might be picture.jpg but the file itself is a TIFF (so the file name should be picture.tif). It is also possible the file is missing a file extension altogether, so Photoshop Elements doesn't know what it is trying to open. Check the full file name in iPhoto and see if anything is askew.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2014 2:34 PM   in reply to Scrappytate

It could have something to do with how iPhoto brough the images onto the computer. Post one of each of the files (one that works and one that doesn't)? Or maybe a screenshot of one of each file as it exists in iPhoto?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2014 4:01 PM   in reply to Scrappytate

You cannot use iphoto that way. PSE can't open photos from iphoto because if it were to write to your iphoto library it could easily corrupt it and cause the loss of all the images there. You should NEVER poke around in the iphoto library from outside iphoto.

You have two choices:

1. Set PSE as your external editor and send the photos from iphoto. Save, not save as without changing the name or format and iphoto will remember your last saved edits and the original, but you will need to lose the edits to revert back to the original. You will need to go to the PSE preferences>saving files and set On First Save to Save over existing to make this work. When you see the Save As window, something is wrong.

2. Export the photos from iphoto, use file>open in the editor and make all the changes you want, then save your image in any format or with any name you like and import the edited photo back to iphoto as a new file. This lets you save as many versions of your photo as you like.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points