Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Sequences vs Timelines

Jan 3, 2014 4:39 PM

I've got a rather huge project (4 hours) that I'm trying to figure out (I'm basically a :30 commercial shooter/editor).

What I chose to do for this project is to edit each chapter in it's own sequence, so now I have about 100 sequences (it's a "How To" video).

My question is, should I Cut and Paste the original footage and graphics from the Sequence into a new Master Sequence, or am I OK with assembling all the individual Sequences onto one master timeline.

The reason I ask is that I heard someone on YouTube say, "Sequesnces are treated like a bad stepchild," meaning the quality of the sequence isn't as good as the original footage.

Now, I personally can't see the difference, but I am all about quality, so if I'm messing things up by using sequences, I'll go through the process of Cutting and Pasting.  But if the quality of a sequence is the same as original footage, I'd rather keep each sequence its own entity.  That way I can go in and change just one sequence and it will be reflected in the master sequence and my brain is less likely to explode.

Thank you for any info, suggestions and advice you may offer.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 3, 2014 4:43 PM   in reply to matthewroddy

That YT comment is incorrect.  Quality will be identical either way.  I personally would nest the sequences for convenience, though.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2014 6:03 PM   in reply to matthewroddy

Jim is correct. There are huge advantages to using nested sequences instead of copying/pasting. The sequences are not in any way transcoded. There is no generational loss. Check it for yourself. Nest one sequence in another, and then nest that one, and that one, etc. After about 20 nests, you would be able to see a problem if there was going to be one.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2014 8:27 AM   in reply to matthewroddy

Sounds like a common sense workflow to me! Well organized. And you can go all the back into the individual sequences to make changes and it shows up in the master sequence.

Just pay attention when you increase or decrease the duration of a sequence. It doesn't ripple the master sequence. You have to drag out the handles manually.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points