Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Orphan Timelines - How to FIND & FIX

Jan 4, 2014 4:03 PM

Tags: #error #orphan

I use Encore occasionally and usually just to produce DVD's straight form Premiere Pro.  But now . .  I have one with 3 chapter markers on the same timeline and Encore keeps giving me "orphan timeline" as errors in the Check Project.  I only have a single timeline and can't seem to get beyond this error to burn - and there is nothing in the Help or Forums on exactly what to do.  I've spent over 2 hours reading and searching!!!!  Somebody please provide step by step directions to resolve this.  THANKS!!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 4, 2014 4:40 PM   in reply to DaveSedona

Please post a screenshot of your flowchart.

The usual problem is (phantom) orphan menus, and sometimes they cannot be truly deleted. The only fix is a do over.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2014 6:01 PM   in reply to DaveSedona

The buttons from the main menu are linked to the menu, not to your timeline. Your timeline IS an orphan, because it is not linked to a menu.

EN CS6 Button Link.PNG

1 Select a button.

2 In the properties, find the "pick whip" icon.

3 Drag it to the TIMELINE in the project panel (not the "asset" or PR sequence). You should see a link (where mine says "Not Set") to the TIMELINE. Right now, your link will show the menu.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2014 7:49 PM   in reply to DaveSedona

Post a screenshot of what you have.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2014 8:18 PM   in reply to DaveSedona

Anything that illustrates what you describe you are doing. Yes, let's see the current flowchart. Also, select a button in the menu, and show the menu viewer (with the button selected) and the button properties on the right.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2014 11:04 AM   in reply to DaveSedona

If you Preview in Encore, does the menu appear? If you click on one of the links, does any part of the movie play?

Below the flowchart is the orphanage; is there anything in there?

Also, a screenshot of the project panel would be helpful.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2014 2:22 PM   in reply to DaveSedona

Okay, a few changes.

You have set an end action on the menu. That can cause odd results. Set the end action of the menu to "stop." In the "Motion" tab for the menu, it should be set to the default of "Hold Forever," so you won't ever get to "stop."

I assume that you want each chapter to return to the menu when the chapter is over rather than continuing with the other chapters. If that is not the case, the following would change.

Add a "play all" button to the menu. It will link to the timeline itself. (This removes the timeline from the orphanage.) The timeline will have an end action of "return to last menu." You can specify a specific menu and which button will have the focus, but let's keep it simple for now.

Modify your chapter playlist so it has only Chapter one in it. If it does already, you are good to go. But change its name to "Chapter 1 Playlist." It is hard to see the names, and these long names that come from the dynamic link will confuse you.

Create two more chapter playlists,one with chapter 2 and the other with chapter 3. The end action for all the chapter playlists is "return to last menu."

Link the chapter buttons to their respective chapter playlists.

Now preview.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2014 5:21 PM   in reply to DaveSedona

I assumed you had only the 4 chapter markers. I now suspect you have more.

Chapter playlist 1 (with chapter 4 in it), starts at 32:31...., but is only 5 seconds 19 frames long!

If that makes no sense, add a screenshot of the timeline viewer (the timeline display a the bottom).

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2014 7:57 PM   in reply to DaveSedona

Are there end actions on any chapter markers?

As a test, create a new project, add the timeline (you do not need to transcode), make it first play. Preview. Does it play beyond the point it is stopping?

Add a menu. Make the menu first play. Link any button to the timeline. Preview and select the button you linked to. Does it play?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2014 8:00 PM   in reply to DaveSedona

Did you remove the link to the timeline I suggested you add from a play all button?

The last warning suggests that you have added end actions to chapter markers. Remove those.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2014 9:06 PM   in reply to DaveSedona

It may be fixable, but I'm missing too many things.

Do a version of the test I suggested, but change as follows. If it turns out to be easier, so be it.

You can "import as menu" your current menu. Select it in the current project, then Menu -> Save Menu as File and pay attention to where you save it.

Create the new project with a new name. Import as menu the menu you saved above. (It will be first play and the title remote will be set by default.)

Then add your timeline: File -> Adobe Dynamic Link -> Premiere Pro Sequence, find your project and select the sequence.

Do not add chapters, etc. Just add a link from the play all button to the timeline. Select the timeline and se the end action as "Return to last menu." Do not transcode.

See if it previews.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2014 9:35 PM   in reply to DaveSedona

I'm also confused as to why I created separate playlists for each of the 3 chapters and have a 4th for Play All.  WHY are these necessary????

I have assumed that you want the usual layout: a button that will play the whole timeline, and then buttons that will play each "chapter."

Is that true?

You only need the chapter playlists if you want to return to the menu after each chapter. And to do that, each chapter playlist can only be one chapter.

There are alternatives, but you are not that far off.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2014 11:20 AM   in reply to DaveSedona

Select the sequence in the project panel. Then Timeline -> New Timeline.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2014 1:05 PM   in reply to DaveSedona

What version of Encore and of Premiere Pro?

Please provide a screenshot of the selected sequence in the project panel.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2014 2:30 PM   in reply to DaveSedona

Encore 5.0 or 5.1 (Encore 5.1 is the version with CS5.5)

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2014 3:11 PM   in reply to DaveSedona

I do not know.

You can certainly try it that way also.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2014 5:13 AM   in reply to DaveSedona

Make the menu "first play." (Select in project panel, right click, "first play.")

Show me the screenshot. (Edit: of the flowchart.)

I don't know what you did wrong before, so I want to see what we have.

Do you want a play all? (that is the button that links to the timeline)

For the chapters, do you want to return to the menu after a chapter plays, or does it continue on with the next chapter?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2014 12:39 PM   in reply to DaveSedona

I have some time limitations, so did not provide as full an explanation.

When a menu is added to a project first, it is the first play. If not, you have to change what is first play.

If a menu is added to a project first, it is set for the "title remote." If not, you get a "title remote not set" warning.

Just fyi.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points