Skip navigation
IDWDI
Currently Being Moderated

Deleting unused audio?

Jan 4, 2014 9:46 PM

Seems like a basic feature, but I can't figure out how to delete unused audio from a session?

I'm using CS6.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 5, 2014 1:43 AM   in reply to IDWDI

If you want ALL files referenced in the session to be available (used or not) then you need to set this option

Edit > Preferences > Multitrack

Select the option "Reference all open audio and video files when saving sessions"

If this option is not set then any unused media will not be included in the session next time you open the session.

If by deleting unused audio from your session you mean deleting it from your hard drive then you can try one of my utilities

http://www.mediasweeper.com.au/

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2014 2:51 AM   in reply to SuiteSpot

Assuming you mean totally remove from the Audition Session, rather than actually Delete the file from the hard drive, in the Files panel just select it (or multiple files) and click on the Dustbin icon to close the files out of the session.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2014 7:58 AM   in reply to IDWDI

No unfortunately it only runs on PCs as SuiteSpot wrote it before Audition was Mac compatible and he, like a lot of us veterans here, only use PCs

One work around is to Export the session to a new folder with the Save Copies of Associated Files box ticked. This will just save the .sesx file and copies of used files (or even edited down clips) into the new folder. Then (after checking that all the files are present there) you can safely delete anything or everything from your original folder.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,591 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Jan 5, 2014 8:37 AM   in reply to IDWDI

IDWDI wrote:

It would be easier if Audition just included a command to delete unused audio in project folder.

That couldn't possibly work - simply because it would have to delete everything that wasn't in a session but was in a folder. A lot of people use more than one session with a given set of files, sometimes (but not always) incorporating other ones as well. And on top of that, audio files have no idea whether they've been used or not, so it's no good asking them...

If there was an easy, foolproof way of doing this, Adobe would have done it. There just isn't, though.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,591 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Jan 5, 2014 5:03 PM   in reply to IDWDI

IDWDI wrote:

Even a column in the project audio browser indicating whether a file is used or not would work. Sort by the column, select the files not used, delete with and option to also delete from hard drive. Problem solved.

That's the whole point - it isn't solved at all, except for that single session. If you have a situation where you need, or are using that file in another session, you're stuffed completely with that approach. You can't just look at this from your own point of view; if, as a manufacturer, other users tell you that this would be a disaster (which it could easily turn into), then you simply couldn't implement it.

On top of that, Adobe has demonstrated that they're absolutely paranoid about not deleting files; I don't think that they want to contemplate a consequential loss claim, even though I think it would be very unlikely to happen. But, this is why doing drop-ins is such a pain - you simply can't do what a 'real' multitrack recorder would do at all. You end up keeping every take, whether you want it or not.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,591 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Jan 6, 2014 1:58 AM   in reply to IDWDI

IDWDI wrote:

I believe the file location is already displayed in the project audio files. And I believe Audition creates a folder for a session with the session name_recorded. Anything you record in that session goes there. Really, it should not be difficult for someone to know what file is specific to the session or not. If you add a file from a different location it should be obvious to you. No?

No. You really haven't got this! We are not talking about a single session, we are talking about multiple ones, all in the same folder. And there's absolutely no law that says sessions have to be organised the way you say anyway. You can do exactly what you like with files and folders.

I agree that Audition really ought to delete tracks properly whilst doing inserts - and that's really the root of most peoples' problems with this. But once you've decided to save a file, there's absolutely no way you can automate the removal process and satisfy the requirements of anybody doing versioning.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2014 3:14 AM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

SteveG is correct - there are so many Audition users all using Audition in different ways that there is no one way that suits all.

There are heaps of radio guys who have different variations of the same session all in the same folder sharing many of the same files and deleting a file that is not used in one session but is used in several others would be a disaster and while MediaSweeper handles that situation it obviously doesn't work for you being on a Mac.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2014 9:19 AM   in reply to IDWDI

WARNING! Make sure that you have saved the session and copies of the used files somewhere else safely before you try this experiment.

If you close out the take files that you don't want to keep in the Audition Files tab and leave Audition open. Perhaps you can then open the OS file explorer and try and delete your files from there. Any that are open in Audition should be locked and only unused ones should be able to be deleted.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2014 3:07 PM   in reply to IDWDI

You are welcome IDWDI but don't sell Audition short when it comes to multi-track studio recording.  I have been running a professional recording studio running Audition since the days of Cool Edit and Audition 2.  I have (paid) versions of almost every DAW and for me Audition is the only one to use.

Yep I too was concerned about those 'unused' takes and that's why I wrote MediaSweeper but I rarely use it except to every now and then clean up one of my back up drives.

And mind you MediaSweeper doesn't delete a single file - it just moves them to a location of your choosing (in an ordered fashion) for YOU to delete at some point.

I don't know how many times I have had to rummage though the virtual cutting floor looking for an out take to save a session.

And these days with hard drives measured in terrabytes 'unused' takes becomes less of an issue IMO

I have a 'in progress' SSD drive and when the final mix has been done and the client has paid I then move everything to a 'completed' drive with both of these drives being continuously backed up and it is this third drive which I will clean up every now and then.

The other thing to remember is that if you drag a file in that is being used/referenced in another session (like a backing track or sound fx) you can easily come unstuck when you clean up that other folder because it is not obvious that the file is used in a session on another hard drive or folder.

Remember - "it is better to be looking at it than looking for it"

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points