Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Project .wavs disappeared?

Jan 5, 2014 6:25 PM

Tags: #help #error #missing #files #folder #.wav #record #temp #restart #locate

Hello,

I'm experience a very weird issue I desperately need help with.

I recently recorded a 2 hour podcast with Adobe Audition - used multitrack, 7 tracks recorded.

I saved the multitrack immediately after recording. I even copied two of the files and moved them to another multitrack.

I was able to see the waveform, playback the show, no problems at all.

Fast forward to today. I opened a new multitrack to record a separate file. When trying to save that file it told me I had to restart the program as Adobe was unable to save the file to disk.

I made sure my previous podcast multitracks were once again saved and restarted the program. Now when I try to open the podcast multitrack recordings I get told all the files are missing and I must locate them. No matter where I look I cannot find them.

For some reason the missing files seemed to have saved to a random temp folder (User/Library/Prefrences/Adobe/5.0/) that is now missing. This has never occurred before - usually the files save to my podcast Audition folder without issue.

I have a hard time believing these files are completely gone off my Mac as they are quite large, saved and I was able to listen to them perfectly yesterday.

ANY HELP at all would be greatly appreciated.

Replies
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Jan 6, 2014 2:07 AM   in reply to chriswild1122

I'm going to hazard a guess that you have a fault with your drive, possibly serious... why?

I opened a new multitrack to record a separate file. When trying to save that file it told me I had to restart the program as Adobe was unable to save the file to disk. 

When you specify a recording location for multitrack, you don't have to 'save the file' as such when recording - it's recorded direct to disk. If Audition says that it can't do that, then it thinks that the disk location you have specified is unavailable - for whatever reason. And Audition is pretty good at this. So if it isn't working, you have to look carefully at what's going on with your disk, for starters. Another alternative is that Audition has itself got corrupted - in which case uninstall and reinstall it. Of course, it's a Mac, so this isn't definitive - I don't use them. But Audition's recording process is the same on both Macs and PCs, so the fundamental issues will be the same.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 6, 2014 3:21 AM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

I recall that there was a situation where this could happen if you restored from a corrupted session and didn't save the session straight away - could this be the case?

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Jan 6, 2014 2:18 PM   in reply to chriswild1122

Having now checked, the only instances of this that I can find all refer to podcast recordings... which is almost certainly a clue as to what is going on. Although why any audio at all would get recorded at that particular location is a bit of a mystery, I must say.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2014 2:44 PM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

This is a known issue, the cause of which was recently discovered but which can be reproduced as far back as Audition CS5.5.

Basically, this issue is invoked when a multitrack session is open and Audition crashes for any reason.  Auditions crash recovery works by keeping a mirror of the current session data in the user prefs folder and deleting it when the session and application is properly closed.  In the event of a crash, Audition checks for any files in this location on the next launch and if it finds them, assumes there was a crash during the previous launch. 

The bug is that after recovering a crashed session, the session working directory becomes this temp location.  Content generated after recovery, if the session hasn't first been "saved" in a new location, is stored in this temp folder which gets cleared when the session file and Audition closes properly.  This includes new recordings, bounces, and track pre-renders.

This is an ugly bug as data loss is never acceptable in our products, and we hope to have an update available ASAP to prevent this behavior.  Fortunately, and this is no consolation to Chris or other who have run into this issue, but reports of this problem have been pretty low.  The workaround for now when recovering a crashed session is to immediately save the session to disk, and restart Audition before attempting any recording operations.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Jan 6, 2014 3:26 PM   in reply to _durin_

What mystifies me somewhat though is the OP's original statement that said:

"I saved the multitrack immediately after recording. I even copied two of the files and moved them to another multitrack."

Surely this behaviour doesn't quite fit in with the crash scenario? Or is something even worse happening???

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2014 3:35 PM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

If the multitrack was crash-recovered prior to recording, then I think it would.  When it opens that recovered SESX, it opens it from the temp path.  Recording at this point would create the WAV files in the temp path as well.  Even if the SESX was then saved in a new location, it is still referencing WAV files that were in this temp path and about to be deleted when Audition was closed.  Dragging those recorded files to another session file still references them from the doomed location.

I haven't looked into recovering the files myself, but an undelete recovery tool may be able to recover most or all of the data, depending on other circumstances.  (How much new data has been written to the drives, what type of drive, etc.)  There appears to be an updated guide to the best Windows file recovery tools at http://pcsupport.about.com/od/filerecovery/tp/free-file-recovery-progr ams.htm

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Jan 6, 2014 3:35 PM   in reply to chriswild1122

Have you at any stage during this process actually experienced a crash?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2014 4:08 AM   in reply to chriswild1122

If you are still missing

"Library>Preferences>Adobe>5.0>529eafa3-48d8-83f5-db0bbf1f9d6b>529eaf a3 -48d8-83f5-db0bbf1f9d6b_Recorded"

you can easily get it back..would like to recommend Recover data for Windows Data Recovery Software for the recovery of your lost or Deleted files from any of the storage device which has windows file system,Since you just lost the file or folder without doing any other operations you can easily get it back Read more

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2014 12:30 AM   in reply to _durin_

1 hour doco. Finished.

Exported audio from Premiere CC.

4 days hard work in Audition CC, 10 minutes from finishing audio - CRASH

Re-open audition project. Original audio files have been re-rendered, files are randomly playing double time, files are randomly playing where they should not be. Original audio files have been replaced with looped short random peices of audio from movie.

Open backup ON A SEPERATE HARDRIVE - the same problem??????????????????

Pro Tools and Logic expert. Mixed on them for years.

Our audio is ruined. We have a deadline this Thursday.

I implore anybody to NEVER, EVER rely on Audition. It is not a professional application. It is a bug ridden peice of crap.

Thanks Adobe, you have once again cost a client tens of hours of hardwork and great heartache.

Can you offer an explernation for my client. Why oh why did I use Audition? Why? Idiot!

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Feb 17, 2014 2:30 AM   in reply to Plexihead

Plexihead wrote:

I implore anybody to NEVER, EVER rely on Audition. It is not a professional application. It is a bug ridden peice of crap.

I sympathise with your loss, but I'd have to point out in the same breath that Audition has been used professionally around the world in pretty much every radio station there is, for many, many years, and that's not for nothing. I've been using it as a revenue generator for at least 15 years, and never had a crash like that on any version. There again, I don't use it for video. Now that might be significant, but somehow I doubt it.

But on the face of it, some of what you are describing is simply not possible. If you have audio files open in a multitrack session, they are in a read-only situation. Audition simply can't trash all your original audio like that. What it sounds far more like is that the audio files themselves are fine, and that the session file (which controls every aspect of how files play) is corrupted - which makes sense, as it's the one file that would be in the process of being written to during the session. The only audio you might lose is anything that's been converted to a unique copy within the session, altered and not yet saved.

I can't comment on why your Audition session has crashed, as I have no idea of how your system is configured. But, in the application settings there will be a log file created at the time of the crash, and you should locate this and send it to Adobe at audbugs@adobe.com for analysis. This will at least give you some sort of idea as to what happened. Yes, the developers take this stuff seriously, so even if you (quite understandably) feel a little hacked off, I'd suggest that this is worth doing.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2014 2:45 AM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

"But on the face of it, some of what you are describing is simply not possible. If you have audio files open in a multitrack session, they are in a read-only situation. Audition simply can't trash all your original audio like that."

Oh yes it can and it did! The audio files are not fine. They have been written over with garbled crap! So no, it is not read only. Steve, I am an audio engineer with 30 years experience. I am a perfectionist with file structures, backing up in triplicet. Audition trashed my audio files. The original files do not exist, they have been replaced. My project is ruined and I will never attempt to use Audition again EVER!

Be warned!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2014 3:32 AM   in reply to Plexihead

" I am a perfectionist with file structures, backing up in triplicet. Audition trashed my audio files. The original files do not exist, they have been replaced"

This is the part that doesn't make sense to me - are you saying that Audition not only took out the session you were working on but also the two backups as well?

Just throwing it out there but is/was there more than one sesx file in the session folder in question?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2014 3:51 AM   in reply to SuiteSpot

So is the audio also trashed in your Premiere edit?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2014 4:57 AM   in reply to ryclark

No, audio is not trashed in Premiere project, that is at production company on seperate server. I don't have access to the Premiere project. Will have access sometime tomorrow morning. Will import into Pro Tools and start again. 4 days work lost and one day trying to figure this out. Absolutely massive bug that has completely done my head in. I am with you guys, nothing about this makes sense, absolutely nothing.

No, there was not more than one sesx file in the session folder. What is crazy is that the original .wav audio files have been recorded over as well. It is beyond rediculous. All of this happened when Audition crashed and when I re-opened all hell broke loose. Glad my assistant was sitting beside me to witness.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Feb 17, 2014 5:20 AM   in reply to Plexihead

Plexihead wrote:

Oh yes it can and it did! The audio files are not fine. They have been written over with garbled crap! So no, it is not read only. Steve, I am an audio engineer with 30 years experience. I am a perfectionist with file structures, backing up in triplicet. Audition trashed my audio files. The original files do not exist, they have been replaced. My project is ruined and I will never attempt to use Audition again EVER!

What, Audition trashed all three copies of your backed-up files? Yeah...

Only 30 years? I've been at if rather longer than that. Long enough to know that working with remote files has always been a bit of an issue, regardless. Where exactly were you opening these files from? Were they remotely stored still? Audition will only trash files if a) it's opened them in the first place and b) it's modified them and saved them. It doesn't trash files at all other than that - that's the OS's job. I'd say that you are making a lot of assumptions that you simply can't justify blaming Audition for. I'm not saying that everything about Audition and session files is perfect, but I've never known Audition to trash unopened files - and I don't think SuiteSpot has either.

If the situation really is as you describe it, it sounds far more like catastrophic HD failure of some sort. When Audition re-opened, were you offered an option to recover the crashed session?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2014 1:46 PM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

Thanks so much Steve. Thrilled for you that you have been "at it" longer than me. That information has really helped my problem.

Only person making assumptions, rather bad ones might I say (catastrophic HD failure - Ha!) is you.

I am in a whole world of hurt with one of the biggest bugs I have ever seen in software that has cost me hours of time and I have to put up with Mr Fanboy.

You need to learn what you are talking about because you are wrong. Just plain wrong. Audition does alter audio files. It has overwritten all audio in my session as stated previously. I hope you are not insinuating that I might be trolling or lying.

Why is it such a problem for you Steve? It is what it is, it has happened to me and my project and YOU are telling me it did not and could not happen. Then you border on personal insult territory. Please refrain from wasting my time mate and add to your 5 and a half thousand posts count elsewhere.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Feb 17, 2014 2:43 PM   in reply to Plexihead

Plexihead wrote:

Thanks so much Steve. Thrilled for you that you have been "at it" longer than me. That information has really helped my problem. 

Er, you bought that up in the first place, not me. We generally feel that the people who go on about stuff like that are trying to hide something.

I am in a whole world of hurt with one of the biggest bugs I have ever seen in software that has cost me hours of time and I have to put up with Mr Fanboy.

You need to learn what you are talking about because you are wrong. Just plain wrong. Audition does alter audio files. It has overwritten all audio in my session as stated previously. I hope you are not insinuating that I might be trolling or lying.

Why is it such a problem for you Steve? It is what it is, it has happened to me and my project and YOU are telling me it did not and could not happen. Then you border on personal insult territory. Please refrain from wasting my time mate and add to your 5 and a half thousand posts count elsewhere.

You're the one being rude, and sarcastic. Incredibly rude and sarcastic. If you choose to ignore and dismiss out of hand everything you're being told, then you're a bigger fool than I thought. At present you're just thrashing around like a baby and not applying any logical thought to what might have happened at all. And as a result, you're going to fix NOTHING. Good luck with that.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2014 3:01 PM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

Had a look around. You have form don't you Steve! Appears you pop up in almost every thread. Love your use of the collective "we generally feel.." Too funny.

Mate, just refrain from posting about my particular issue, you have not offered any REAL advice just really stupid general summations that are completely blinkered. Annoying fanboy.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2014 3:06 PM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

Is it possible to send one of the affected WAV files to audbugs@adobe.com (if it's smaller than ~10MB) or post it elsewhere for our engineers to investigate?  I've never heard of anything like this happening, and would like to know more.  I can't think of any reason Audition itself might do this - I believe files are open for read-only except during the save process.

Did this occur on a Mac?  If so, the crash report may provide some information as to the cause.  It's certainly possible a data corruption issue invoked the crash, but right now, there's too little detail to know.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Feb 17, 2014 3:43 PM   in reply to Plexihead

Plexihead wrote:

Mate, just refrain from posting about my particular issue, you have not offered any REAL advice just really stupid general summations that are completely blinkered.

Actually, I did. And one of the developers has just repeated it. But hey, you think what you like.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2014 6:47 PM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

Re: Project .wavs disappeared?

created by _durin_ in Audition CS5.5, CS6 & CC - View the full discussion

"Is it possible to send one of the affected WAV files to audbugs@adobe.com (if it's smaller than ~10MB) or post it elsewhere for our engineers to investigate?  I've never heard of anything like this happening, and would like to know more.  I can't think of any reason Audition itself might do this - I believe files are open for read-only except during the save process.

Did this occur on a Mac?  If so, the crash report may provide some information as to the cause.  It's certainly possible a data corruption issue invoked the crash, but right now, there's too little detail to know."

Sent relevant files, project file, all info on my system and project. Have heard nothing back. I even offered to send entire project and audio files on a USB stick. Have tried to persist with Audition with no luck - amazingly buggy for an application that is supposed to be professional. I have worked out that any project exported from Premiere Pro into Audition is fragile and can not be relied upon at all. This app is CRASH CITY!!!!!!!

Have finished my Doco thnaks to Logic Pro X - stable, seamless, functional, amazing interface, zippy, never crashed, amazing onboard effects and lives up to it's name - Logical. If you are on a deadline do not use Audition it will let you down and there is zero support. Would love to hear back from the so called engineers who apparently investigated my problem.

CC is rubish and all my apps have been buggy since I signed up. 4 seats in my company and I can't get out of this quick enough. Training my staff in Quark, Logic and On One now. Sooner the better.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2014 8:47 PM   in reply to Plexihead

I've looked through our inbox and don't see any emails that appear to be from you between Feb 17 and today.  The original post on this thread is referring to a different bug that has already been identified and does not appear to be related to the issue you've described.  I haven't been able to find any other reports of similar issues through our bug form or on the forum, and have evidence of thousands of sessions sent from Premiere Pro to Audition without a failure like this.  However, I would still be willing to troubleshoot this further to find the cause.  I can e-mail you directly if you aren't able to contact us via audbugs@adobe.com

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2014 2:30 AM   in reply to _durin_

I've looked through our inbox and don't see any emails that appear to be from you between Feb 17 and today.  The original post on this thread is referring to a different bug that has already been identified and does not appear to be related to the issue you've described.  I haven't been able to find any other reports of similar issues through our bug form or on the forum, and have evidence of thousands of sessions sent from Premiere Pro to Audition without a failure like this.  However, I would still be willing to troubleshoot this further to find the cause.  I can e-mail you directly if you aren't able to contact us via audbugs@adobe.com

Begin forwarded message:

Email was sent on the 18th of Feb refer below so real bummer that it somehow just kinda got lost considering how your engineers were going to check it all out and all. I contacted via audbugs@adobe.com and also had no reply.

Don't mean to be negative but for the last 20 years of buying Adobe software - Lots of software for lots of money for lots of my staff this has always been my experience with any kind of support and customer service from Adobe. There is none. Especially in Australia.

The bottom line is Audition came close to destroying my project, a project that had to be ready for broadcast on television.

Why did I use Audition? The head editor wanted me to and I did, was looking forward to sinking my teeth into this application.

It does not deliver. It added almost two weeks to my job. It is bodering on criminal to be honest.

Subject: Re: Re: Project .wavs disappeared? Project .wavs disappeared?

Date: 18 February 2014 10:52:47 am AEDT

To: audbugs@adobe.com

Thanks for the reply.

I have a corrupted project folder and an uncorrupted project folder. I could load both on to a USB and mail to engineers so both projects could be compared.

Can you please direct me to where I can find the crash log so I can email. I have attached two audio files, one uncorrupted and one corrupted. I have also attached project file.

Kind regards

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points