Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How to delete a .avi file from Premiere Elements 11 Organizer

Jan 6, 2014 9:46 AM

Tags: #premiere_elements_11

I have a file named "my new video project1.avi" that shows up in the Premiere Elements 11 Organizer that I'm trying unsuccessfully unable to delete.

I cannot search and find the file on the Win 7 hard drive, even when I set "file folders" to show hidden files.  Nor can I find it on my external hard drive using the date and time the file was created 01/12/2013 8:45 AM.  I even tried uninstalling and reinstalling the program but the file reappeared in the Organizer.

Within the file's icon are a centrally located ? and another yellow ? in the upper left corner that when clicked attempt (again unsuccessfully) to reconnect the missing file.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this problem would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 6, 2014 9:59 AM   in reply to andrew-dd_1937

You ought to be able to just press delete to delete it from the catalog. But if that's not working try using Find> All Missing Files. It ought to appear in that list and you can try deleting it from there.

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2014 10:51 AM   in reply to andrew-dd_1937

An .avi file is a video file, not a project file - how did you create it in the first place? What you could try doing is just creating a file in notepad called 'my new video project1.avi', putting it where the Organizer is looking for it and seeing if it will then allow you to delete it.

Cheers,

--

Neale

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2014 11:53 AM   in reply to andrew-dd_1937

Andrew,

That "dummy" TXT file, with the .AVI extension, will not Import.

With the external HDD plugged-in, and turned on, I would do a Search for *.AVI on the entire Computer, and let that complete. Then, in the Search Folder, just Sort By File Name. There might be tons of files in the Search Folder, but you should be able to tell if you DO have that file somewhere.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2014 1:19 PM   in reply to andrew-dd_1937

andrew-dd_1937 wrote:

But, the file will not transfer to Premiere Elements 11 – what I get is an error message stating:- “this type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed.”

It wouldn't. It isn't a real video file, just a dummy file so that the Organizer could find it and then hopefully allow you to delete it from the catalog. Can you now delete it?

Cheers,

--

Neale

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2014 1:46 PM   in reply to andrew-dd_1937

I'm wondering if it is a permissions problem. In Windows Explorer find the file C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Elements 11 Organizer\PhotoshopElementsOrganizer.exe. Right-click it and select 'Run as Administrator'. After it starts can you now delete the problem file?

Cheers,
    --
    Neale

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points