Skip navigation
digital education
Currently Being Moderated

Need to download folios repeatedly in Adobe Content Viewer

Jan 6, 2014 10:42 AM

Hi:

We are using Adobe Content Viewer (ACV) for a digital education project. The ACV app is used in iPad´s and when are turned off, we need to download again all the folios previously downloaded to the ACV app.

Someone who has the same problem, how to fix it?.

Thanks,

Oscar

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 6, 2014 12:57 PM   in reply to digital education

Just to make sure I understand, you're saying that when you completely turn the iPad off (i.e. power it all the way down, not just put it to sleep) and then power it back on and run ACV all your downloaded folios are gone?

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2014 4:28 AM   in reply to digital education

That's akward, I just noticed that I am experiencing the same problem right now with 2 folios. Once I turn off the device, turn it back on, the folios need to be downloaded again.

One is version 20, the other is 26.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2014 9:05 AM   in reply to Ivo Marks

This is indeed strange. We have not reproduced this yet and are looking for some clues.

For either of you, is there anything about the app state prior to shutting down the device that is worth noting?

How long between when you shutdown and when you restart? Is it overnight or several days?

Also, is there any chance that the OS automatically updated applications after you restarted the device and before you launched the ACV? Also, how much space is available on the device? I ask because the OS will try to free up disk space when it installs or updates applications, and folios (and really any other downloadable media) will be removed locally if necessary.

-nate

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2014 11:25 PM   in reply to digital education

I am using iPad 2 with iOS 7.0.4. and latest ACV, more than 10 gb free.

1. Basically, I download a folio on my iPad device, I can open it and everything is just fine. When I click "remove issues from library" I see  both folios, one occupies 28 mb, the other one 48 mb. One is made for viewer version 20 the other for 26.

2. Then, I shut down the device completely and turn it back on after few seconds.

3. I launch ACV, both of those folios appear just fine, until I click on them.

4. Just as I click on a folio, the background appears just light gray, without any content. If I tap on the screen, I don't even get top menu, where I can return to library. So I have to force quit ACV.

5. When I launch ACV again, both folios have the cloud icon next to them, and I need to download them in order to view them, HOWEVER, when I click "remove issues from library" button, I see that both folios are still there with the same mb size.

So, it looks like they are still on the device, but for some reasons I need to re-download them again.

Unfortunately I don't have any other iPads to test these folios.

Just to remind, this happens only to 2 out of many folios, both were made in summer last year, they are not published and are only used on the current device as presentations.

Regarding updates, to be honest, I don't remember if I had this prior to last iOS update, but I might not have noticed that.

Usually, if I see there is an update, I just update it.

Is there anything you would recommend to try?

I have not yet tried to remove ACV from the device and re-install. Or unshare that folio and share it again.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2014 1:38 AM   in reply to Ivo Marks

I also have the same problem:  from few days ago, I have to re-download every day the folios on my Ipad. Every mornig they appear as not downloaded. My IOS is 7.0.4 and I have 4GB free and Adobe Contend Viewer 3.4.2

Its strange because if I go to "tools" (on yhe upper right side of AdobeContentViewer) I have the option of delete the folios on my Ipad, and there appear all the folios downloaded !  (The same ones that I can not open and I asked to dowload again)

On  the other side, I have another Ipad with IOS 6 and there is no ploblem with this one.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2014 10:00 AM   in reply to designGP

Thanks all for the details. I've passed these on to my team to try and isolate what is going on here. I did run a number of tests on my iPad and iPhone but could not reproduce the problem. I also ran a test where I updated the OS (yesterday's update to iOS 7.1 beta) and folios that were previoulsy downloaded are still accessible.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2014 1:38 AM   in reply to Nathan Marroquin

One more point...this issue does not happen with ACV in version 3.3.1  How can I download this version? (Or another old version?)

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2014 6:25 AM   in reply to designGP

You can't download a prior version of ACV, you can only get the one that is available in iTunes.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2014 7:55 AM   in reply to Neil Enns - Adobe

Ok, this is starting to happen to even more folios, in total I have 5 folios which I need to re-download each time I CLOSE and re-open ACV (not minimize). I made a test folio yesterday, it was working fine, until today I quit ACV, launched it again, clicked on the test folio and ACV opened blank page and froze. When I force quit ACV and launch it again, I have to re-download that folio.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2014 8:50 AM   in reply to Ivo Marks

Ivo, would you mind posting a screenshot of the library and marking the folios where you see this? I'm trying to help the team identify patterns for when this is caused.

Thanks,

-nate

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2014 8:51 AM   in reply to digital education

We have identified the root cause of the issue and are investigating a fix. Thanks to everyone for reporting this and for helping us chase down the problem!

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2014 10:26 PM   in reply to Neil Enns - Adobe

Well done!

Do you still want me to post screenshots as well or it is not necessary anymore since you have identified the problem?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2014 6:03 AM   in reply to Ivo Marks

Thanks for the offer but it isn't necessary anymore.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2014 8:58 AM   in reply to digital education

We do not have a date set yet to address the issue.

Earlier in the thread designGP asked if an older version is available. You can build a v28-based ACV through App Builder, but it can only be distributed to dev-signed devices, or through enterprise distribution. I am not sure if that is an option or not, but it is something to consider in the interim.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2014 12:47 AM   in reply to Nathan Marroquin

New version available! . . .   But still the same problem !

Just installed (4 times this morning doing some tests) but still have a similar problem: portfolios can be download and viewed Ok, but once you stops the apllication (or restart the Ipad) when open a portfolio it apperas only grey.

I tried with small portfolios (i read about a memory problem with big ones that result on grey screen) and keeping de session off , but still can use the portfolios....

I dont have any idea about "build a v28-based ACV through App Builder", but we need a solution.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2014 1:22 AM   in reply to designGP

Same problem here:

1. Download a folio file

2. Open and view the folio file

3. Close the folio, close the app

4. force quit the app through doubble-click and swipe Adobe Viewer app up to close it

5. restart the viewer app

6. Open the folio: Grey screen...

7. Force Quit the app again (there is no other way to close it)

8. Reopen the app and the folio is now marked as ready to download, however it's still deletable under options...

iPad 2 with latest iOS7, latest viewer app

folio created in CS5, latest versions of folio builder and panel

folio viewer version 26 through 29

Problem does not occur with older folio with viewer version 24. Problem persists with newly created folio with viewer version 24.

*edit*

Just found yesterday's Adobe Viewer App update. Problem persists.

*edit 2*

Strike that. I removed all folio's, rebooted the Viewer App and redownloaded the folio's. Problem seems solved.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2014 2:17 AM   in reply to frankhartman.

I tried to remove everyhing (folios & program) and install / download again...same problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2014 5:54 AM   in reply to designGP

Make sure you have the latest viewer (version 3.4.3 in the App Store). I thought I had it yesterday but found it was the old one. I ran the update this morning and tried the steps and it's working for me.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2014 6:03 AM   in reply to Nathan Marroquin

yes it's the last one: 3.4.3   Do you know if this gap should be fixed in this version, or it's scheduled for a new one?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2014 6:20 AM   in reply to designGP

The issue should be fixed and my own testing with the live app confirm that. What are the names of the folios that are being cleared after a restart?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2014 10:36 PM   in reply to Nathan Marroquin

Well thats weird, even after the ACV update I still experience the same problem with same folios. :/

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2014 12:34 AM   in reply to Ivo Marks

Okay I thought I was getting mad, but no.
    Same problems here, and seriously drives me mad.
    on the iPad2 it's fatc that I have to repeateadly download folios that have not changed in anyw ay (and some do 500 Mo, takes HOURS). On the Galaxy Tab 10.1 it's an awful mess : downloads, stops at 99,99%. Crashes. Works one day. Does not work the day after. Can't figure anything out.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2014 5:07 AM   in reply to jbalmain

See also my messages here:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/6102984

I have the same problem but for me it is only on Retina devices, iPad2 does not have this problem.

I have the latest Viewer app, and although Adobe labeled my discussion ad 'Answered' it us not.

As a trainer I have to showcase tomorrow and I'm not looking firward to this.

The strange thing is that for me as well it is only certain folios but always the same folios. What they share is a two autoplaying slide shws which are timed: one stops at last frame, the other plays continues with a set delay.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2014 5:13 AM   in reply to F van der Geest

I'm not sure how that got marked as answered but I've just unmarked that.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2014 5:15 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Thanks Bob.

Extra note: this is not a only a working 'blue ribbon' folio, but  also  the free/private published version of the same (newly, rebuild) Folio. So publishing does not solve this for me as suggested sonewhere else...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)