Skip navigation
BendyLin
Currently Being Moderated

Audition saved wav file can't be played in Android device

Jan 7, 2014 2:35 AM

Tags: #wav_file #hdr.fmt_sz

Hi,

I am using Audition CS6 version5.0 to edit wav file and play in Android device for test.I have one wav file that can be played with a android device, I only to use my Audiotion CS6 to open it and save as another file, then this file can't be played with the same device.

Bad one feedback:

hdr.fmt_sz 18 hdr.bits_per_sample = 16hdr.audio_format = 1

Aplay:aplay: '/data/media/Spk_R_Bot.wav' is not pcm format

Good one feedback:

hdr.fmt_sz 16 hdr.bits_per_sample = 16hdr.audio_format = 1

aplay: Playing '/data/media/Spk_R_Bot.wav':Signed 16 bit Little Endian

aplay: Samplerate[44100]Channels[2]

Aplay: Done playing

It looks that the head format of wav file is changed from hdr.fmt_sz 16 to hdr.fmt_sz 18, how to config my Audition that saving the wav same as the good file and can be played with android device.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 7, 2014 4:47 AM   in reply to BendyLin

Auditions internal format is always actually 32 bit Floating Point and unless instructed otherwise will generally save .wav files in this format. It could therefore be a 32 bit file that the Android device is having problems interpreting.

To make sure that you save the correct .wav type use Save As to save your file and make sure that the Sample Type is set to 44100Hz Stereo 16 bit. If it isn't click the Change button to set it correctly using one of the Presets.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2014 5:13 AM   in reply to ryclark

I don't own an Android but I'll wager that ryclark is right that your device is set up to handle CD standard wave files (16 bit, 44,100 Hz sampling) since that is what you'd get if you simply ripped a CD like most users.

Audtition can handle a wide range of different sample rates and bit depths since many production users require higher settings--as ryclark says, Audition works internally at 32 bit floating point.

Ryclarks method is exactly right for any future files but, if you want to fix the present non-standard one, go to Edit/Convert Sample Type and just change the settings to 16 bit/44,100 sampling then save.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,593 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Jan 10, 2014 1:40 AM   in reply to BendyLin

BendyLin wrote:

Audition works internally at 32 bits floating point, but my windows OS is Win7 64bits, is it possible caused any change to the header or the body of wav file when saving?

Doesn't make any difference at all - that's not what is causing your problem...

Can you help explain what does hdr.fmt_sz 18 mean?

This, on the other hand, does indicate why you are having difficulty playing the file. When it says hdr.frmt_sz 16 it's indicating that you have a 'normal' pcm wave file, which the android should play fine. hdr_frmt.sz 18 though indicates that it's used some sort of compressed format (although I can't figure out exactly which one 18 is at present). So what you have is a file that looks like a wav file, but actually has some form of compressed data in it -  in other words, the file is acting as a carrier for something else. This is perfectly allowable in the format, but the chances of getting an android to decode it are slim. That's why the android says that it's not PCM data. So when you make files to play this way, you have to make sure that you've saved them as PCM wav files, and not a compressed sub-format.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2014 3:23 AM   in reply to BendyLin

Weird and probably wrong thought, but could you (or whoever saved your file) have typed in the .wav suffix rather than leaving it to Audition?  This is one way I know of to get a confused file type.

I don't know of any setting for wave file type in Preferences...the only adjustments I know are in the various drop down boxes on the Save As menu...hopefully others will correct me if I'm wrong.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2014 3:39 AM   in reply to Bob Howes

I find MediaInfo very useful in type of situation. If you drop the file into MediaInfo it may tell you more details about the exact format of your file.

http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,593 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Jan 10, 2014 9:38 AM   in reply to BendyLin

You didn't use Libsndfile's .wav option to save the file, by any chance? That gives you endian options, and has all sorts of other possibilities for wav files. That could cause all sorts of problems!

Use the Windows PCM option at the bottom of the list only - that's almost certainly the only one that's going to work properly.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,593 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Jan 12, 2014 2:33 AM   in reply to BendyLin

BendyLin wrote:

This make sense now, I change the format to save as Libsndfile's .wav, format setting: libsndfile: Waveform Audio 16-bit PCM Little-Endian(Intel Byte Order), and then the Androud device can play it normally.

My Audition is default to wave PCM format, setting: Wave Uncompressed 16-bit Integer.

These two should amount to the same thing...

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2014 5:05 PM   in reply to BendyLin

I think the reason may related to the format encode. If possible, you could have a try to do the conversion before you transfer to your devices. I am using the Pavtube video converter and the conversion effect is good. You can download the free version to have a try. Hope this may helpful to you.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,593 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Feb 13, 2014 2:11 AM   in reply to cherryhunter

cherryhunter wrote:

I think the reason may related to the format encode. If possible, you could have a try to do the conversion before you transfer to your devices. I am using the Pavtube video converter and the conversion effect is good. You can download the free version to have a try. Hope this may helpful to you.

I think you'll find that the issue has been resolved without recourse to any other software - which is as it should be.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points