Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Stereo --> two mono tracks

Jan 7, 2014 10:27 AM

Tags: #audition #cc #stereo-to-mono

hello!

I had a question about importing a stereo track. I'm in a stereo multitrack right now, and open a stereo track in that, but 

I'm still not sure how to split the stereo track into two mono tracks.

Right now it's just playing on the Left side of the headphone. How do I get it so that there are two tracks - one on top of the other?

Help?

Thank you for bearing with my training wheels here!

Best,

Trail

Replies
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,610 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Jan 7, 2014 3:44 PM   in reply to trailmixalot

trailmixalot wrote:

hello!

I had a question about importing a stereo track. I'm in a stereo multitrack right now, and open a stereo track in that, but I'm still not sure how to split the stereo track into two mono tracks.

I'm not sure why you want to do this. If you put a stereo track into a stereo session, then it will play in stereo. If you want to alter the relative left and right levels of the track, you use the Pan control in the mixer. If you can't hear both channels, then you need to check the mixer's master output options (where it says Default output at the top) and make sure that you have a stereo option selected - if you don't have this selected properly, you'll definitely only hear one channel.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 7, 2014 7:40 PM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

Or if, as so often happens, it's a mono source like a microphone that's been accidentally recorded onto half a stereo track, just Edit/Convert Sample Type to mono rather than changing the mixer master setting which would affect the whole session if you have some genuine stereo stuff.

As Steve says, there's no reason to make mono material into pseudo stereo (which is just two identical mono tracks).  True stereo has slight phase differences between the L and R channels which give spatial information (think about how human ears work on opposite sides of the head).  Two channel mono just doubles your disk storage (and limits some of your editing options) without a single advantage.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2014 12:12 AM   in reply to trailmixalot

What version of Audition are you on?  In both CS6 and CC the option is there under "Edit/Convert Sample Type" as a drop down menu.  It'll likely say "Same as Source" when you get there but offer you Mono, Stereo or 5.1 on the drop down.  (Similar would have been there in older versions but I don't have any of them loaded on a current computer to check exactly what's there.)

To correct one thing though, if your original source was mono (for example a microphone) there won't be any spatial information whatever you do.  However, once you have a mono track to can pan the material to put it wherever you want in the stereo field.  If you think your material really was stereo (a ripped CD track for example) then we need to be looking at different solutions to get you true stereo info.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,610 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Jan 8, 2014 2:38 AM   in reply to Bob Howes

Bob Howes wrote:

To correct one thing though, if your original source was mono (for example a microphone) there won't be any spatial information whatever you do.  However, once you have a mono track to can pan the material to put it wherever you want in the stereo field. 

Actually, you might be surprised at how much you can do - with a single free plugin.

Download SHEPPi, put it in the master channel, and turn the controls up a long way. It's an acoustic trick, but it works remarkably well. The only snag with it is that it's only available as a 32-bit plugin, so with CC you'd have to use it with jbridge. Unfortunately there isn't an engine available to re-render it as a 64-bit plugin at the moment, or Dallas would have done so...

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2014 3:34 AM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

That looks like an interesting toy...I've downloaded it and will have a play as time permits.

However, you should have warned me about the price of that Algorithmix software they compare it to--that was the first thing I saw and a shock like that is not the best thing for a guy only a few weeks after open heart surgery!

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,610 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Jan 8, 2014 3:46 AM   in reply to Bob Howes

Hmm... I know why Dallas did it like that, but I agree that it might have been better if he'd put them the other way around on the page!

The real joke of it though is that if you do a direct comparison, the results from both are absolutely identical - apart from SHEPPi being more controllable in a mix...

Dallas added the bit about jbridge at the bottom of the page after I'd asked him about a 64-bit version. Apparently Flowstone are supposed to be working on a 64-bit SDK, but there has been no further news since an announcement about it in September last year.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points