Skip navigation
RyanM89
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere not opening

Jan 7, 2014 1:59 PM

Tags: #premiere_sc6

When I go to open Premiere there is an error that says "A problem caused the program to stop working". I have not changed anything that I know of, but something must have changed because it has worked fine for a long time. Any suggestions?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 7, 2014 2:12 PM   in reply to RyanM89

This was working before?  What changed on the machine?  Did you add any plugins, fonts, changes to the OS, anything like that?

Also, we need more information on the core system - what type of computer, video card, driver version, OS version, hardware breakdown.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2014 5:31 PM   in reply to RyanM89

More information needed for someone to help... please click below and provide the requested information

-PPro Information FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/message/4200840

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2014 10:25 PM   in reply to John T Smith

A variety of issues can cause PPRO to crash on launch. Just off the top of my head:

1. a problem with the Preferences, or some other pref-related file in the Profile-<USERNAME> bin. The remedy for this is to clear the prefs. Before we can instruct you how to do so, we need to know what version of PPRO you have and what OS you're on.
    2. the graphics driver
    3. third-party plug-ins
    4. a problem with the cache files.
    5. a problem with the project file (if you're loading a project, not creating a new one)
    6. the Preferences files  set to read-only
    7. the user not having administrator rights
    8. a conflict/incompatibility with some OS setting
    9. a problem on the licensing/authentication side.

A log file might help identify the cause of the crash. Please right-click 'My Computer', select "Manage," look under 'Event Viewer->Windows Logs->Application' to see if there's an event there from Premiere Pro. If so, copy the contents of that log and paste them here.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2014 1:20 PM   in reply to RyanM89

What Mark posted is still valid.

Most likely cause - disable any firewall or antivirus programs you may be running.  We use TCP/IP communication and those programs can block our communications causing the program to crash.

Update your display driver. Go directly to nVidia's website to get the most up to date driver.

Clear your preferences.  Easiest way to do this is to go to C:\Users\<Your User Name>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Premiere Pro\6.0 and delete the prefs file there.  You can also just delete everything in that directory.  It'll get rid of any customer settings you may be using.

Disable your plug-ins.  That can depend.

If you need help, that's what our support staff is for.  These types of problems can be difficult to fix in a forum setting.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points