Skip navigation
ImbueWith
Currently Being Moderated

trying to create letters in AI

Jan 7, 2014 2:58 PM

Hi, I have created letter V using Pen Tool (two paths :). Can you please advice how to combain/cut/erase/ to get nice shape of end

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 7, 2014 3:19 PM   in reply to ImbueWith

Imbue With,

If you create the V with the Pen Tool, clicking at one of the upper ends, then at the bottom, then at the other upper end, you have the letter as one path from the start.

Using the Line Segment Tool to drag out the segments, it is important that the two parts meet in coinciding end Anchor Point which you can join by Ctrl/Cmd+J. In this connexion, you may find that View>Smart Guides are your friends telling you when you are there (Smart Guides say anchor when you are within snapping distance of an Anchor Point).

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2014 3:47 PM   in reply to ImbueWith

You might want to show what exactly you want to do.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2014 4:03 PM   in reply to ImbueWith

ImbueWith,

If I will create it as one path how I can set two different strokes?

You may use the Width Tool, but that may preclude the desired shape where the two segments meet.

But it may be easier/better to stick with two paths.

Apart from that, it may be convenient to outline the path(s) for easy cutting or other shaping of whichever end(s) you wish to customize.

To do that, you may:

1) Create the two parts as independent paths with different Stroke Weights ending in coinciding Anchor Points at the bottom;

2) Select both and Object>Path>Outline Stroke, then Pathfinder>Unite;

3) Shape the Ends and/or the Join; for a straight cut, you may drag with the Line Segment Tool where you want it and with only the new line selected Object>Path>Divide Objects Below, then delete the unwanted part(s).

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2014 4:16 PM   in reply to ImbueWith

In this situation a little more work is needed. Outline the strokes and then adjust the anchor points using direct selection tool.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2014 7:36 AM   in reply to ImbueWith

By the way, your V is backwards. Remember thin up and thick down. As if you were writing with an old-fashioned pen.

Picture 2.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2014 8:18 AM   in reply to ImbueWith

For my part you are welcome, Imbue With.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points