Skip navigation
This discussion is locked
KenDWpg
Currently Being Moderated

dreamweaver had added thousands of blank lines to my code

Jan 7, 2014 3:11 PM

Tags: #of #blank #thousands #line_spline

I installed creative cloud and dreamweaver - I edited a few php / html / javascript  files on my server - now dreamweaver had added thousands of blank lines to my code. It will take days to clean them out and I can't seem to find a "find and replace" or "regular expression" to remove these... first of all... THANKS SO MUCH FOR GIVING ME THIS HEADACHE... and now.... HOW THE FRIG DO I GET RID OF THESE???

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 7, 2014 3:40 PM   in reply to KenDWpg

Are you saying you edited files directly on your server?  Or did you edit local files & upload them? 

I've never experienced this but I'm wondering if carriage return settings might account for this.  See screenshot.

CS6-line-Break.png

Hit Ok.  Go to Commands > Apply Source Formatting.

Best of luck!

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2014 4:51 PM   in reply to KenDWpg

That's one of the biggest risks with editing remote files. I hope you have backup files stored someplace.   I use Backblaze ($5/month).  It's saved my butt more than once.

www.backblaze.com/

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2014 7:32 PM   in reply to KenDWpg

And the lack of assistance here just shows what totaly crap customer service Adobe has...

Amen to that Bro. That's why we are here to help out.

As far as thinking that DW adds nasty additions to our code is a little far fetched. On one occassion I did have a similar experience to yours and this resulted in having to replace my keyboard.

Glitches in operating systems, or disturbances in internet traffic are also common causes.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2014 11:00 PM   in reply to KenDWpg

We love you too Ken and hope that your time and precious data space on the internet with your pomposity was worth it.

Could I ask you for the link to your desecrated site to assist me in my struggles to replicate the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2014 2:32 AM   in reply to Ben Pleysier

Let me understand your workflow that is causing the problem. You used an external editor, not Dreamweaver to edit files on your server. By that I assume you are saying that someone (bluehost, godaddy, someone . . .) is hosting a site and you opened up a file on your server in some kind of browser based editor and edited the file. If it was not a browser based editor then what did you use to edit the files without downloading them? I know of no such program.

Then, sometime later you launched Dreamweaver and downloaded a file from the server and when Dreamweaver opened that file it added thousands of lines of code to the file. Is that correct? 

Here's where I get confused. If Dreamweaver added thousands of blank lines to the page why did you put the file back on the server? As far as I know Dreamweaver cannot edit directly on an external server. You edit locally then upload.

If, on the other hand, you're telling us that the file was fine until it was uploaded to your server then that's really weird. That would mean that a perfectly fine and in tact file was modified by the FTP function in Dreamweaver while it was uploaded. Somehow, the FTP program added a bunch of line feeds to the upload. Is that what happened? The file was fine in Dreamweaver but got screwed up when uploaded?

I'm not trying to be critical of your post here, I'm just trying to understand when the problem occured.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2014 2:55 AM   in reply to KenDWpg

This is becoming very amusing. I'll have what you are having, sound like fun.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2014 4:01 AM   in reply to KenDWpg

Perhaps you should get in touch with MechanicNet regarding your problem. It looks like your site is hosted by them.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2014 5:48 AM   in reply to KenDWpg

Hi

It is quite possibly Dw doing this, but it is also behaviour that would be correct according to the ftp specs, so I am surprised you have not experienced this before if you have always edited ascii files directly on the server.

The reason that it happens and is correct behaviour, is every keystroke, etc. that you make on a live file is followed by the 'new' file being uploaded to the server, (no save or other action required) this is done in order to maintain file integrity, otherwise your server would generate an error should the page be viewed by a user.

i.e. - you press the 'a' character on the keyboard, file change is uploaded + a 'CR', at end of line to indicate 'edit', you then press 'n', file change is uploaded + a 'CR' at end of line, (repeat for every keystroke).

See the specs - http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc959/3_DataTransfer.html

I would be interested to know which IDE you previously used to edit the files, (or how you edited a remote file if an IDE was not used).

This is also why it is not advisable to edit remote files directly, and why it is not necessarily Dw's fault, as to stop this behaviour you would have to use an ftp terminal editor, (maybe your old editor had the required setting already configured to stop this behaviour and only upload the edited files on save?)

PZ

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2014 5:56 AM   in reply to pziecina

Hi

Check for a 'maintain automatic file synchronization' setting, (or some similar wording) as this may be the cause of saving the file without a 'save' action by yourself.

PZ

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2014 2:38 PM   in reply to pziecina

@Paula,

The main reason that the OP did not come forward with the URL to his site is because his site is powered by MechanicNet. This is a CRM/CMS package where the contents are managed online.

As you know, systems like this keep the contents in a database, rendering DW useless.

It would have been great if the OP had been up front .

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2014 4:02 PM   in reply to KenDWpg

Your hostile rants and personal attacks aren't earning you any brownie points in this forum.  Your attitude makes me wonder if you're on the level or just an angry, attention seeking troll with nothing better to do. 

N

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2014 4:12 PM   in reply to KenDWpg

You're just proving my point.  I'm pretty sure a moderator will be pulling the plug on you soon.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points