Skip navigation
lkenzig
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe Reader XI won't stay open in Windows 7; Solutions don't work

Jan 8, 2014 9:57 PM

My Adobe reader was working fine under Windows 7 and all of a sudden it stopped working.  It opens, starts opening a file and before it finishes opening the file, it closes. I have unstalled Adobe Reader XI using the Adobe Cleaner Tool provided on the community board website and reinstalled it from the Adobe.com website.  I also went to the eula.exe file and clicked accept which was a suggestion on the community board. Please help

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 8, 2014 11:44 PM   in reply to lkenzig

Other things you could try...

• Update Reader to 11.0.5
    • Can you open Adobe Reader by itself?  If so, try disabling Protected Mode [Edit | Preferences | Security (Enhanced)].
    • If you cannot open Reader by itself, try to disable Protected Mode in the registry; download, unzip, then run the attached registry script
    • It could even be a malware issue; see http://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/reader-core-dll-error.html
    Attachments:

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2014 6:07 PM   in reply to lkenzig

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2014 8:45 PM   in reply to lkenzig

You can disable automatic updates: Edit | Preferences | Updater.

I don't know why these problems occur; I have about half a dozen machines (Windows XP, Windows 7) that I update whenever an update becomes available, and I have never experienced any of these things.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2014 8:27 PM   in reply to lkenzig

Edit is on the menu bar

ar_mb.PNG

If you cannot see the menu bar, use F9 to trigger it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 21, 2014 3:18 PM   in reply to lkenzig

I have Adobe ReaderX and have tried to use it, remove it and change it yet an error message appears 1057 can't find key. It started after the problem with adobe. Now I can't use it or remove it. I have windows 7 64 bit. Please help.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points