Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Export to PDF / Master page problem / bitmap compression

Jan 9, 2014 1:17 AM

Hi,

I have two problems with new CC.

1:

I have a problem while I'm exporting my project to the PDF print file and I'm using objects from Master Pages.

I've tried new documents, old ones, and it's looking like a general problem.

I'm using CC, in previous version there wasn't that problem.

It's not important if it's PDF 1.5 or 1.3 or any other.

To make it easy to understand:

Document has 48 pages

One master page A

On the master page, I put two elements, lets say circle and square.

In indesign it's look great.

Now, I want to delete circle, from several pages.

So like always in previus versions, I click [Ctrl+Shift+Click] on a circle, it's made it editable from the page, so I delete it.

I'm making it on several pages.

From some, I delete square.

And.. in Indesign it's all look great.

But if I want to export it to PDF file, the magic is happaning.

On some pages it's ok, on pages where should be only square is a circle, sometimes if should be circle it's nothing.

What is going on?!

I know, I can make two master pages, but it's just exaplme.

I'm working on big file with a lot of different master pages, and I have to be able to delete some objects from master pages on some pages, don't worring if it will diseaper in PDF or not.

2:

The other problem, is when I'm placing bitmaps with transparency, after exporting to PDF, also magic is happening.

Even if I use no compression on PDF print file export options, or if I choose ZIP compresion (lossless) every time it's making some odd outline on the edges of transparency.

It's crazy, because I'm exporting the same file, from my CC, from CS5 or even CS4.

And only problem is in a new one!

Again! What is going on?!

I'm using Indesign from CS3, a lot of years, and this is first time it has problems.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 9, 2014 2:07 AM   in reply to Krzysztof Tura

1. Without screenshots of what you're doing it's impossible to tell what is happening.

Can you post step by step screen shots of what is happening? You can use the camera icon when replying to add images.

2. What format are your images that have the transparency?

Screenshots again would help a lot.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2014 2:10 AM   in reply to Krzysztof Tura

As Eugene said, screen shots would help.

At the moment I have no idea about the first problem, but the second sounds like "stitching," a transparency flattening artifact. Make sure you are using Acrobat 5 or higher compatibility in the export settings to preserve the transparency.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2014 5:27 AM   in reply to Krzysztof Tura

Problem 1:

This would be much better set up as a facing pages document with a two-page master. Put left page objects on the left half of the master and right page objects on the right half.

Problem 2 might be a downsampling problem (it is not stitching). Your effective resolution in the screen capture is 858 ppi and you are downsampling during export to 300 ppi, throwing away more than half the image data.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2014 6:07 AM   in reply to Krzysztof Tura

I think at this stage you will need to provide sample files.

You might also consider resetting your preferences http://forums.adobe.com/thread/526990

You could also try creating a new user account on your computer and try the same from there - this is primarily a troubleshooting technique, please let me know how this goes.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2014 6:42 AM   in reply to Krzysztof Tura

Krzysztof Tura wrote:

The problem is, that people are working on files from previos versions Indesing, where everything works great.

And how are they doing the conversions? Opeing legacy .indd files in CC is not a great workflow. You're much more likely to encounter trouble that way than if you expoprt the legacy file from the original version to .inx or .idml and open that for conversion.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2014 7:11 AM   in reply to Krzysztof Tura

Your file behaves the same way here, as does a new one with your objects pasted into it, but I cannot reproduce the problem when I create a new file with new master objects.

It's either a very specific bug related to the exact configuration of the objects on the page (in which case moving things ought to make a difference), or much more likely there is something about your machines that is causing the problem -- perhaps some other software you run.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2014 7:11 AM   in reply to Krzysztof Tura

When you ungroup the logo objects the problem disappears. I don't know if this will affect your document at all but that solves the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2014 7:43 AM   in reply to Krzysztof Tura

Or just take Logo 1 from the group. That works too and it will leave Logo 2 as is.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2014 7:56 AM   in reply to Krzysztof Tura

You're right. I meant move Logo 1 above the group.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2014 8:12 AM   in reply to Krzysztof Tura

Now that Ellis has mentioned groups, I believe there are some known bugs with groups on master pages, and they are not new to CC.

.IDML from your file also misbehaves in CS6.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,122 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 9, 2014 8:12 AM   in reply to Krzysztof Tura

Photoshop zoom in, to make you sure, that it's not on the image:

Your Photoshop screen capture in #4 isn't really zoomed in—it's at 50% which doesn't show actual 1:1 pixels

This transparent circle looks fine at 50%, but at 800% you can see it actually has an edge which would be exaggerated on a downsample:

Screen Shot 2014-01-09 at 11.08.36 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-01-09 at 11.09.13 AM.png

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points