Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FM 11 Trial Help

New Here ,
Jan 09, 2014 Jan 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I’ve downloaded the program (FM11 trial), in order to create service manuals.  I have created many portions of them in Word, which are highly effective, however, due to the number of graphics and word graphics added to them, the docuemnts get very large very fast.  I am struggling, as I do not have a tonne of time to invest in learning your product.  Do you have any videos specific to my need?

1. 1.       Take a word document and convert to framemaker with existing formatting and images from multiple documents.
  2. 2.       Combine into one framemaker document (with images stored separately).
  3. 3.       Add in table of contents/figures/references etc to final document

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do realize you’re NOT talking to Adobe when you post on these forums? This is a user-to-user space. You might have a look at http://blogs.adobe.com/techcomm/ to start.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep…just hoping that reps troll the forum……thanks for assuming stupidity however

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a whole series of videos and other resources covering migrating from Word to FM at:

http://www.douwriteright.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> ... due to the number of graphics and word graphics added to them, the documents get very large very fast.

What gets large,
the working source document or
the resulting PDF or XML product?

And why is that size a problem?

If you use copy-into-document imported objects, I wouldn't expect a Frame document to be appreciably smaller than a .docx. I would expect authoring performance to be snappier than Word.

What is the graphics format? If raster, what resolution at printing size? If color, any chance it's indexed color?

Some opportunities may exist for performance and size economies.

But you're facing a steep learning curve if you're new to Frame. The current state of the documentation is not exactly optimized for customers who don't already know how to use the product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Along with the excellent sources provided for video (some of which are my Captivate demos and recordings of my Adobe webinars), you might try the printed or epub version of my book, which is one of the best references on Frame you're likely to find.

**It was also edited by Arnis and Jeff, who gave you the video references.

-Matt

Matt R. Sullivan
co-author Publishing Fundamentals: Unstructured FrameMaker 11

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines