Skip navigation
michiiii.o
Currently Being Moderated

Justify towards spine

Jan 10, 2014 7:21 AM

Hello,

I searched the forum but couldn't find an answer for my question.

My document has facing pages. I want to set a paragraph style were the normal text is Justified right on every left page and left on every right page. You know? Same with the headlines and stuff. AAAnd I want that the text on the right page has a left indent and the other page the oposite (right indent) Could anybody please help me? Thanks in advance.

greets, Michael

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 10, 2014 7:33 AM   in reply to michiiii.o

Hi Michael,

You'll set up two different style sheets, one for left (even-numbered) pages and one for right (odd-numbered) pages. Set the even-numbered pages paragraph style to align right, and of course the odd-numbered pages to align left. Make a text frame on your corresponding master pages, and assign the appropriate style sheet to these frames, and voila! Now all your new pages in the document will have a master text frame set to align the way you need. If you already have pages in the document, just go to a paragraph and assign the appropriate style sheet. Hope this helps!

Cheers!

-Mikey

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2014 7:43 AM   in reply to michiiii.o

Also use Alignment Towards Spine or Away From Spine, it may help.

Alignment.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2014 8:10 AM   in reply to HeyMikey

It's not necessary to set up different styles for left and right pages. As suggested by Salah, setting the paragraph style to align either towards or away from the spine (but do it at the style definition level) will cause the text to do what you want, and will even align it properly on both pages if a paragraph breaks across them.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2014 7:47 AM   in reply to michiiii.o

Perhaps you could tell us what you mean, then by "justify towards the spine." Justified text is the full width of the column. Do you mean justified, with the last line aligned towards the spine? That's not something ID can automate. You have a choice of justified with last line aligned left, center or right, and you'd have to use two styles or a manual format override.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2014 7:59 AM   in reply to michiiii.o

What Salah and Peter wrote is the method...at least if I am understanding what you want. At the paragraph style level (rather than the button shown), it is all automatic.

capture-000976.png

capture-000975.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2014 8:11 AM   in reply to michiiii.o

Peter was posting as I was.

So you want fully justified text, but the last line in a paragraph against the spine?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2014 8:21 AM   in reply to michiiii.o

If you want this:

Justified towards spine.png

then you need to do it manually in some way or another.

And do we need to discuss the readability of justified text with the last line aligned to the spine like this? What a disaster.....

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2014 8:22 AM   in reply to michiiii.o

The you have to have two paragraph styles with a line break. The main paragraph is justified, space is Before. The last line paragraph in the screen shot below has no space above, so it snuggles up to the main paragraph style.

capture-000977.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2014 8:27 AM   in reply to MW Design

Say what, Mike?  What does paragraph spacing have to do with alignment of the last line?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2014 8:39 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

It doesn't have anything to do with the alignment. It only has to do with avoiding space before like the Main paragraph text has.

My point was that there is spacing between paragraphs. By using a separate paragraph for the last line there would be spacing between the main paragraph and its last line if it also had Space Before set.

Main paragraph is fully justified. This paragraph has Space Before set.

Last line paragraph is aligned Towards spine. This paragraph has no Space Before set.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2014 8:47 AM   in reply to MW Design

So you are adding a paragraph break a the end of the second-to-last line so your first x lines are full justified (including last line) and last line can be a single-line paragraph aligned to spine?

What happens when you need to edit and the length of a paragraph changes?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2014 8:50 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

And I can't imagine the amount of work necessary to go through an entire book and add all those extra breaks. At least with a single style you can go through page by page and select all of the text at once that needs to align the other way and make the change.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2014 9:21 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

It's just a bloody method of accomplishing what amounts to a lot of manual work no matter what method is used. It was all I could think of. I have never had such a request and I would (at least try really hard to) shoot it down with whoever requested it of me in the first place.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,120 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 11, 2014 11:46 AM   in reply to michiiii.o

So you want fully justified text, but the last line in a paragraph against the spine?...Yes

It's fairly easy to script. If you are on OSX  this AppleScript works on a selected text flow

tell application "Adobe InDesign CS6"

set ruler origin of view preferences of active document to spine origin

set mystory to parent story of selection of active document

set p to object reference of last word of every paragraph of mystory

repeat with i from 1 to number of items in p

try

--with spine origin this number will be positive on the right and negative on the left pages

set x to horizontal offset of item i of p

if x is greater than 0 then

set justification of paragraph i of parent of item i of p to left justified

else

set justification of paragraph i of parent of item i of p to right justified

end if

end try

end repeat

end tell

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers