Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Curious about the DPS single edition

Jan 10, 2014 1:57 PM

Tags: #pdf #dps #apple #itunes #single_edition #rejection #itunes_connect #single_app

I use my Creative Cloud membership to create single apps. This is the only cost effective option for most of my publication design clients, since many of them publish a magazine only two, three, or four times a year.

This week the most recent issue of one of my client’s interactive publications was rejected. This was quite unexpected since the three previous issues, published as single apps, were approved without a glitch.

What follows is a conversation on my iTunes Connect account for the latest version. After I posted my last response the app was accepted and is now available on the iTunes App Store. Apple also removed the following conversation from the Resolution Center. All that remains is this statement. “This app version has been approved. All communication regarding your previously-rejected binary is now closed.”

I would also take this opportunity to point out, and others have on this forum, that the pricing tiers of the DPS still don’t serve some publishing models. I hope the people at Adobe are reading and open to continuing this discussion.

I thought this would help other small businesses using the single app edition of the DPS.

---------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------

Apple

10.6 We found the following issues with the user interface of your app:

- Was only a PDF

These examples identify types of issues discovered in your app but may not represent all such issues. It would be appropriate to thoroughly evaluate your app to address these types of issues.

Resources for learning how to improve your app:

- Watch the video The Ingredients of Great Apps to understand the basics of great apps

- Watch the video iPhone and iPad User Interface Design for practical design tips

- Read the iOS Human Interface Guidelines and double check that your app's user interface adheres to these valuable guidelines.

- Read the App Design Basics section of the iOS App Programming Guide

- Watch the iOS Development Videos to learn about programming and design tips.

---------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------

Christopher St.Cyr

Jan 8, 2014 08:41 AM

I would like to appeal this rejection of the app on the basis that Apple has accepted three previous apps of this interactive publication. I don't see how this current app is significantly different than it's predecessors thus warranting this rejection. Here are links to the previous apps for your further review (links removed for client privacy). Please indicate how this app can be fixed in order to appear in the app store.

Thank you for your consideration.

Chris St.Cyr

Apple

Jan 8, 2014 03:07 PM

Reasons

10.6: Apple and our customers place a high value on simple, refined, creative, well thought through interfaces. They take more work but are worth it. Apple sets a high bar. If your user interface is complex or less than very good it may be rejected

Thank you for your response. It would be appropriate to combine the aforementioned apps into a single app and use In App Purchase or iOS functionality to provide additional feature sets.

Christopher St.Cyr

Jan 9, 2014 10:20 AM

Thank you for your response. I have three points to make here.

1. I understand it would be appropriate, and desirable from my client's perspective, but the financial reality of the existing systems (Adobe DPS) that make combining the apps into one app is not possible at this time.

2. And more to the point your response has nothing to do with the reason (Was only a PDF) for rejecting this app.

3. Since the interface is the Adobe Digital Publishing Suite interface Apple is saying that the product create by the fine people at Adobe doesn't meet Apple standards. I find this hard to believe since a number of interfaces in the app store are the exact same interface as the my app.

Once again I would like to point out that Apple has approved previous similar apps. As far as I can tell the current app under review fulfills the requirements. If Apple is rejecting this app based on that fact that these apps should be combined, then you are saying that the iTunes model excludes small business who can't afford certain tools.

I formally request that my appeal be moved on to another level of inquiry.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 10, 2014 8:11 PM   in reply to Chris St.Cyr

What was the content like in the app that was rejected? How long was it, how much interactivity did you have, and what overlays did you use?

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2014 8:15 AM   in reply to Chris St.Cyr

How long was the application? The links, email links, and youtube videos typically aren't enough to have the app be considered a fully interactive app instead of "just a book". Slideshows and scrollable frames can help, but it also depends on how long the content was.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2014 8:24 AM   in reply to Chris St.Cyr

No, that's ok. If it's only 20 pages that's likely one of the reasons Apple had issues with it. There's no recommended length, but 20 pages really comes across as a brochure or book, which they seem to frown upon.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2014 8:31 AM   in reply to Chris St.Cyr

I can't predict what Apple reviewers would do. All I can say is you need to make sure the app feels like a rich interactive application, not a few pages of something that was print and had video and hyperlinks added.

Neil

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)