Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Derived paragraph styles and variables

Jan 11, 2014 5:35 AM

I have a "Chapter Title" variable which is used in a footer and which is coupled to the "Chapter Title" style which uses a very large font. This works.

Some chapters have a longer title, for which I have created a derived paragraph style "Chapter Title small", which uses a smaller font so the title does not take up half of the page for instance.

What happens is that the Chapter Variable does not follow this derived style. So, the chapter that starts with a "Chapter Title small" style still has the name of the previous chapter in its footer.

How should I resolve this?

I am using CS6.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 11, 2014 6:04 AM   in reply to Gerben Wierda

Did you create a new variable keyed to the new style?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2014 7:12 AM   in reply to Gerben Wierda

I'm afraid it doesn't work that way. One variable = one style.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2014 7:30 AM   in reply to Gerben Wierda

You should try using the same style and apply a character style manually that makes the size change in the body of the book. That should get picked up OK, but I'm not sure if the character style will interfere with the formatting of the variable (it will be applied to the TOC entry, for example).

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2014 7:41 AM   in reply to Gerben Wierda

If you are able to make your variants consistent with a paragaraph style they can be made consistent with a character style. It is more work because you have to select the text and apply the style that way, but not a lot more.

And trust me, character styles applied to text that is picked up by a TOC are applied to the text in the TOC as well, no matter waht paragraph style is assigned, unless they are applied as part of a nested style inthe original paragraph style definition. We get  users asking how to prevent this all the time.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2014 8:25 AM   in reply to Gerben Wierda

You don't. You'd have to edit the TOC to remove it.

But you only need to apply a character style for the small version, not both.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2014 8:31 AM   in reply to Gerben Wierda

Exactly.

If you use two paragraph styles and two variables you can set up two master pages, one with each variable. I think that might be the better solution.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2014 8:42 AM   in reply to Gerben Wierda

The other possibility is to use a non-printing frame with the title in the regular style on the title page in addition to the one in the second style that will print. Both variables and TOC can pick up the non-printing text.

I use that technique from time to time with things like lists of Illustrations (which are a TOC) where I want to only use a part of the caption, or title it a bit differently in the list.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2014 10:12 AM   in reply to Gerben Wierda

I think the answer is to use a text variable based on character style, i.e., "Running Header (character style)."

Then you will need to create a new character style called "running header" or whatever, that has no attributes (i.e. a blank char style) and apply that to all your chapter titles (you can use find and replace).

Now the running header will pick them all up since it is based on a character style rather than a paragraph style.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2014 12:14 PM   in reply to Gerben Wierda

Default styles are selected with no text cursor active...

Ariel's suggestion is also a good one. It might even work with making the character style nested as part of the paragraph styles, in which case it will not be applied to the TOC entries.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2014 5:20 AM   in reply to Gerben Wierda

A character style that has a name, but no other attributes, won't change the text formatting, but it can be "found" so the text it is applied to can be used.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2014 7:10 AM   in reply to Gerben Wierda

The character style will be applied, but becasue it has no formatting parameters it will have no affect on the formatting.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2014 7:34 AM   in reply to Gerben Wierda

Do you mean will the footer pick up the Text from the first (or last) TOC listing on the page? Probably.

There is no perfect solution here, I think, only different options with relative strengths and weaknesses.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2014 7:36 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Actually, let me revise that last answer. If the character style is applied to the actual chapter heads as a nested style within the paragraph style definition, then it will not be present at all in the TOC and will not be picked up if you use a differnt style for the TOC listings that does not include the nested character style.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points