Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

PE12 - No Burners Detected

Jan 11, 2014 10:48 AM

Tags: #premiere_elements12 #dvd_burn #no_burners_detected

HI,

ok so I've got over my other issues and was ready to burn my project to DVD...

Unfortunately, the dialogue window comes up with a "No Burners Detected" message and there is no drive for me to select.

Like many other topics I have read, I can see the drive if I select AVCHD but that is no use to me.

I have gotten around the issue by writing the DVD folders to a folder and then burning to DVD using IMgBrun but this really is a cop out... I've spent good money on PE12 and expect to be able to use it to do the basics!

I've not got Roxio or EasyCD installed so have covered off the discussions that mention that.

Any clues?

Distraught - Daran.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 11, 2014 11:00 AM   in reply to Daran66

Daran66

Do you have any programs installed that might compete for the burner, like Nero? Any, packet writing program that allow you to format a CD or DVD into what is essentially a large floppy disc?  The Nero InCD is now a standalone for this type of thing.

Any chance disabling the Roxio and EasyCD to determine if either is involved? I would start with the EasyCD.

Many times a program uninstall reinstall solves this type of issue, but we have been down the road of uninstall reinstall several times already for the prior unrelated issue.

Any opportunity to get at an external burn for troubleshooting purposes for this?

Consider the above and then we can decide what next.

Thanks.

Hope to exchange distraught to determined to success.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2014 8:59 AM   in reply to Daran66

Daran

For now, a check of the Control Panel Installed Programs such be enough for checking for any installed burn software that may be creating conflicts. I think that my question about Roxio and EasyCD was a misread on my side. I did not see the "not" in the sentence where you mentioned those programs. Nonetheless, check in Control Panel Installed Programs for any burn software, maybe one that came with the DVD burner??

Please remind me, was this DVD burner ever used without issues with an earlier version of Premiere Elements in your computer environment?

Please let us know if you could borrow an external DVD drive for troubleshooting purposes.

Depending on the outcome of the above, we might need to think about "another" uninstall/ccleaner/uninstall as a just in case measure.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2014 10:06 AM   in reply to Daran66

Daran

What is disappearing, the whole DVD drive?

If that is the case and you have iTunes, maybe my encounter with the situation where Windows stopped recognizing my Blu-ray/DVD burner might apply. Lots of maybe's

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/12/pe-burn-location-no-burners-fou nd.html

We will be watching for further developments.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2014 1:56 PM   in reply to Daran66

Daran

I would consider "Burn a Disc" dialog pop up normal when you insert a blank disc and the drive is not set for AutoPlay.

Drive Open New.JPG

versus

AutoPlay.JPG

And, check out Control Panel/Hardware and Sound/AutoPlay and place for your settings

Control PanelAuto.JPG

More later as I think about the external DVD drive no working either.

Thanks for the updates.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2014 2:18 PM   in reply to Daran66

Daran

Were are you on your DVD disc brand/type?

But then again, is the same DVD disc in the burner tray when you switch the burn dialog selection from DVD to AVCHD?

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2014 6:17 PM   in reply to Daran66

I am using a tower stack of Memorex DVD+R

Unfortunately, Memorex will buy the very cheapest blank media that day, then add their logo to the discs. I have encountered 3 different mfgrs. in a single spindle, and other users report 4 - 5 different mfgrs. That means that one might encounter some good disc, then some bad ones, then maybe some good ones.

The same seems to be for TDK and Ritek, both once respected mfgrs., but it appears that they have adopted the Memorex "business model." Also, most store brands do the same thing - buy the very cheapest, re-brand them, and hope for the best.

I recommend Falcon Pro, Verbatim and Taiyo-Yuden (I understand that JVC brand are by T-Y) - only.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2014 6:36 PM   in reply to Daran66

Daran

How adventurous do you feel about exploration into the core of this no burner detected issue?

I have been hunting around the Internet for solutions. Some seem outdated. But some time older is the same as current.

1. This regedit.exe edit....

"No. 16. Refreshing the DVD drivers list in Windows Registry"

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/kb/troubleshoot-system-errors -freezes-burning.html

I think that there is a counterpart of this even for Premiere Pro.

Please check out the above and see if we can find any answer in it.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2014 6:33 AM   in reply to Daran66

If the Memorex blank disc, that you are using IS a good one, then this Tips & Tricks article might be useful in tracking down why PrE cannot find your DVD burner/multi-drive: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2776760#2776760

Several other programs can get in the way of that part of the burning process, as can out of date firmware for the burner, itself, though that often yields a "SenseCode error," though not always. While Roxio & Nero are common culprits, they are not the only possibilities there. Some users have found that Quicken (an accounting program), can "hook" a burner, under certain circumstances - as can some others.

One test would be to Burn to Folder, and then use a burning utility, like ImgBurn to do the physical Burn to Disc. It interfaces with the burner at a hardware level, by-passing what the OS is calling the burner.

ImgBurn is also good at surveying your blank media, telling you who actually manufactured that particular blank disc, plus the lot number of it.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2014 9:38 AM   in reply to Daran66

Daran66,

Thank you for that information.

I was about to include an image of a discovery of the disc type from InmBurn but to my dismay, the DVD drive has disappeared again from the O/S - it was there first thing this morning and the PC has not been rebooted since as I have been working all day on it!!!

Hm-m, almost sounds like a connection issue between the MoBo (or controller), and the multi-drive.

When you look at that multi-drive in Device Manager, do you see any error, or warning messages?

What is the connection type, EDIE, SATA, or something else? That is assuming that the multi-drive is internal, and earlier on, that seems to be the case.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2014 11:56 AM   in reply to Daran66

Daran

Getting a late start today.

Uninstall reinstall would not affect your saved/closed projects. [Edited per ATR's instructions - Hunt]

I believe that the Content download would take a hit. What you could do is save the Online Folder before uninstall and use it to replace the Online Folder that the program reinstalls with.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/05/pe11-no-content-disc-content-do wnloads.html

If you have any user custom presets that you have created, you will need to do a save before install and then place them in the reinstalled program after the reinstall.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/10/pe-saving-projectprogram-assets -before.html

Key: Backup anything of value including the Registry. Things should go smoothly but just in case.

Please let me know if you are OK with this.

Thanks.

ATR

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2014 11:39 AM   in reply to Daran66

Daran

Did you mean "would" or "should not"?

That should have been "should not". Sorry about that. I will try to get a moderator to fix that so that someone else does not get tripped up who does not read any further in the thread than that.

The following appears to be an older version of the registry fix that I posted previously. But, it has a video that should prove useful especially for the upper or lower filters.

http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/cd-dvd-drive-recognized-appli cation.html

The video seems to follow the path of the later document.

Please check it out.

Thanks.

ATR

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2014 11:57 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

ATR,

I will try to get a moderator to fix that so that someone else does not get tripped up who does not read any further in the thread than that.

Done.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2014 12:15 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt,

Thanks for the "not" correction.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2014 1:44 PM   in reply to Daran66

Daran

Are you asking which one?

I would "remove my preferences" when you uninstall Premiere Elements before you run through that approach number 16 and its subsequent steps.

In addition, I would probably put a check mark before "Remove Downloaded Content". I dislike going there but it was permissions and not the Content download that apparently got us in problems previously.

The directive from the Adobe documents is "remove program" first. I am taking that to mean the whole thing. 

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2014 4:07 PM   in reply to Daran66

Daran

Daran.jpg

I was so pleased and happy for your success. I thought that the Content download was a tough one, but this Premiere Elements DVD burner not recognized for burn to DVD was even tougher. Congratulations on a job well done with lots of stick-to-it-tiveness getting through to success for both.

Thanks for the video of your son's ski holiday. Beautiful video and great scenes and action. Well done.

Hoping for smooth going for you to lots of great videos.

Thanks for the opportunity to be part of the troubleshooting.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2014 4:44 PM   in reply to Daran66

Thank you for sharing the ski footage. Very nice indeed!

We used to applaud, when we'd catch about 3' of air off a bump... but that was long ago, when my knees were young. The maneuvers that I see now make me long for the snow.

Most of my time was spent in the gates, but I did a bit of ballet too - though that was more along the lines of kunglig christies, cross-overs, and one-footed skiing. The moves today boggle my aged mind.

Thanks for that link, and congratulations on your success.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2014 5:41 PM   in reply to Daran66

Daran

I often do not follow the "do not mess with a good thing" principle and consequently pay the consequences. But, just thoughts for now rather than actions...

You wrote

checked the registry for upper/lower filters in the relevant section - they were not present

So, is what you did essentially just open, look, close the registry - with an uninstall before and a reinstall afterward?

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2014 11:26 AM   in reply to Daran66

Daran

Thanks. Adventurous videos. Were these from one of the GoPros?

After watching them, I will never look at the snow flakes that I get in my neck of the woods the same.

Best wishes to you and your family,

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points