Skip navigation
Trevor Dennis 5,905 posts
May 24, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Bridge CC Move Cache to Different Drive

Jan 11, 2014 4:23 PM

I could have sworn I have done this before.

I have been swapping and bumping drives, and now have a 300Gb v'raptor for Scratch, and would like to move Bridge cache to that drive.  But I am unable to move it off the boot drive.  Looking at the file structure, I'm thinking I am wrong and have never done this before, because it is pretty complex, and covers multiple previous versions.

Is this doable?

Windows 7. Full CC subscription.  (View hidden folders turned on)

Replies
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,999 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 12, 2014 3:09 AM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

But I am unable to move it off the boot drive.  Looking at the file structure, I'm thinking I am wrong and have never done this before, because it is pretty complex, and covers multiple previous versions.

I don't understand this. BTW I am on a Mac but did understand the path for the Windows Cache is something similar. My central Cache is by default in the user library application support / Adobe / Bridge xx /

Inhere are a plug in (Adobe bridge Plug-in Cache) and a folder called Cache (the central cache folder). In here are 4 folders named: 256 (Thumbs), 1024 (HQ preview), Full (100 % preview) and data (as it says, data)

You should be able to copy both the plug in and the Cache folder to a new location. (if not you either have not the correct admin permissions for boot drive and or no read and write permissions for the new drive.

Supposing you have been able to copy the lot to a new location you now have to start Bridge and in the preferences go to Cache. Under Location you have the option to choose the new path, point to the new drive and location and restart Bridge. Then it should work as expected.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 12, 2014 7:04 AM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Trevor.Dennis wrote:

Yes I can see the path OK all the way to the current cache location, but I can't twirl back and choose a new drive. ...

I think you may want to twirl forward to Computer -- below the list of files for your username -- then expand that to show list of disks.  I've successfully assigned bridge cache to the D drive (though when i did this I let Bridge rebuild the cache rather than move the cache folders).  Here's what I have (username collapsed, computer expanded).

brcache2.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2014 8:06 AM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

In Bridge edit/preferences/cache then change Location to drive desired.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2014 11:08 AM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Trevor, have seen this problem before.  For some reason Bridge is not seeing the drive directory.  Add the drive you want as a Favorite and that usually wakes up the OS to recognize the directory and things should return to normal.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2014 11:24 AM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

If you show the Favorites tab does is show the structure of the computer folders?  Or do you just see Desktop/Trevor? 

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2014 11:56 AM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

So what do you see in Favorites tab or Folders Tab?  Are you seeing the computer directory as you would normally?

Does the raptor drive show up?  If so can you click on it to open directory?  Once you get this normal than preferences/cache should show cache directory location.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2014 2:02 AM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Can't you just type in the correct path. Ignore the browser? e.g. "C:\Cache\BridgeCS6"

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2014 2:37 AM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Try Regedit:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Bridge CS6\Preferences\CacheDirectory (REG_SZ)

I have seen this limited file browser problem before in Bridge. I can't remember what causes it. You may be able to find something in a forum search, but unfortunately this forum isn't as old as the others, being created a year or two ago by merging the Windows and Macintosh forums. You might have more luck locating the Bridge Windows forum.

By the way, reinstalling Adobe software doesn't always help, as a new installation tends to re-use old found settings. Adobe has a "Cleaner Tool" to remove these orphaned settings.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2014 3:30 AM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

I just spent 5 mins looking for tips, and found one guy who had a load of stuff on his desktop causing the problem. Once he tidied stuff away, the drive icons came back to his browser dialogues. That makes sense if the only root item is the Desktop - maybe there's a limit to the number of folders displayed in the browser API.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2014 7:44 AM   in reply to Yammer

Have you tried resetting Bridge preferences?  A thought; I didn't see mention of preferences reset reading through these posts

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2014 10:56 AM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Another long shot: might there be a permissions problem?  Try launching Bridge "Run as administrator"?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points