Skip navigation
Digitalsound84
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe Audition CC does not recognize my Mbox2

Jan 12, 2014 3:08 AM

I have Windows 7 and downloaded Adobe Audition CC.  I went to Edit, Preferences, Audio Hardware.  I went to Device Class and it gives the me selection of MME or WASPAI.  For Device it only gives me the choice of Realtek High Definition Audio.  Can anyone help me?  Thank you.

Replies
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Jan 12, 2014 3:54 AM   in reply to Digitalsound84

Try downloading the ASIO driver for it, install that, and try again. It won't work with W8, but apparently you stand some sort of a chance with W7.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 12, 2014 4:13 AM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

Download site for the drivers is here:  http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/Download/Mbox-2-Drivers?retUR L=%2Fpkb%2Farticles%2Fen_US%2FDownload%2FMbox-2-Drivers&popup=true

I note that the latest drivers are still listed as a beta version despite having gone up in 2010.  Glad to see Avid haven't changed their excellent support since I used to have to deal with them professionally.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2014 4:51 AM   in reply to Bob Howes

Bob Howes wrote:

Glad to see Avid haven't changed their excellent support since I used to have to deal with them professionally.

Are you missing a off the end of your reply Bob?

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Jan 12, 2014 3:23 PM   in reply to Digitalsound84

Digitalsound84 wrote:

Hi Bob.  Thank you for the help!  It actually worked!  You mentioned about Windows 8.  Are there plans to get the Mbox working for Windows 8?

Actually it was me - but the chances are approaching zero - from the minus side, I'd guess. Manufacturers don't want to support hardware for too long, otherwise they go out of business. Guess what? They want you to purchase something newer!

Unless you've got some sort of desperate need to run PT, I wouldn't bother with M-audio any more though.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2014 5:31 PM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

I'm in no way part to Avid's plans but totally concur with Steve that the chances of a Windows 8 driver for an MBox 2 are about as good as an ice cream cone's chance on this lovely Australian summer day...i.e. nil.  They haven't even taken their Windows 7 driver past the beta stage they got to 4 years ago, so draw your own conclusions.

(FYI, when I was digging out that URL above, I came across a lot of discussion on various Avid/PT forums and the lack of Win 8 drivers is a very big sore point.)

Having said all that, Win 8 is far from ideal for audio work anyway.  If there's a possibility to load up Windows 7 on any new computer, I'd do that rather than venturing into Windows 8 anyway.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2014 10:21 PM   in reply to Digitalsound84

Well, it's not so much a crack (since the drivers, such as they are, are free anyway).  Rather, it's the need to write new software drivers to make your MBox run on the newer operating system.  As Steve says, I wouldn't hold my breath for anything from Avid since they want to sell you a new interface.  However, it might be worth going to one of the Avid users forums to see if anyone there has or is working on a work round.

However, I repeat my advice that, even if you buy a computer with Win 8 installed, you may wish to uninstall that and put Win 7 on instead.  Windows 8 is a bit of a disaster zone for any serious audio work.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2014 4:00 AM   in reply to Digitalsound84

I suspect you'd be better off finding an MBox/Avid forum to ask that question.

I note that version number (and Win 8 operation) isn't listed on the Avid site so I assume that's a third party driver--I've always been leery of 3rd party stuff but I suppose, once you've gone to Windows 8, you have little to lose.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points