Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Could someone explain this method of using forms

Jan 12, 2014 6:10 PM

Tags: #php #html #forms #dw

this method used in a page of the web site I currently tinker on has a peculiar look to the way one of the forms was put in place. That form below and its code aswell should make the form visible on the page is desing view, but its isn't showing one, though on the server and web browser it does show that the form exist and working just fine, what Im trying to get at is that all the other forms are visible in desing view except this one, and I need to edit some of the text on it cause the letters are too far from the forms on the right. so where might this form be located? any help is greately appreciated cause I'm trying to get to know the whole site in case of a technical/design issue if one arises.

search form.png

album search.png

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 12, 2014 7:24 PM   in reply to phpandcss

HTML forms all start with the declaration <form> and end with </form>

You are asking specifically about methods. Forms have to call something, usually server-side code that makes something happen, sends an email, makes a calculation or does something. In your "manage album" form, your method is "post."Usually the method is either "get" or "post." The HTML specifications technically define the difference between "get" and "post" so that "get" means that form data is to be encoded (by a browser) into a URL while "post" means that the form data is to appear within a message body. But the specifications also give the usage recommendation that the "get" method should be used when the form processing has no lasting observable effect on the state of the world. Since a hacker may be able to screw around with the result of a "get," we typically use "post" unless we are trying to troubleshoot what is being sent.

In the form you are displaying above, it looks like the script is going into a database and calling data from that. I cannot see the entire form, but that is what I think is happing. And it is most probably going into a MySQL database on your server.

This is not being done on the form as much as it is being done by a php script.

If you can point to the actual web page, we can help you more.

-Mark

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2014 12:34 AM   in reply to phpandcss

There is nothing in the snippet of code you provided which would make the form disappear from design view in Dreamweaver.

Either there is a coding mistake in the html which might be causing this or the css may be set to display: none; which is highly unlikely.

Could you paste the whole of the pages code here - html, php and css?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2014 12:56 PM   in reply to phpandcss

To see parsed data in PHP pages, you need a local testing server.

Setting up a PHP environment in Dreamweaver

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/articles/setup_php.html

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points