Skip navigation
domino1979
Currently Being Moderated

workspace

Jan 13, 2014 2:53 AM

How can i enlarge workspace in indesign cs6? in previous version the workspace took the whole space in the screen. In cs6 is too small. Please help.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 13, 2014 6:01 AM   in reply to domino1979

What is your OS?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2014 6:04 AM   in reply to domino1979

Click the expand button for the application window.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2014 6:08 AM   in reply to Sandee Cohen

Sandee Cohen wrote:

Click the expand button for the application window.

In Windows we call that one "Maximize."

and you should be able to set the properties of the shortcut you use to open ID to "Open Maximized."

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2014 2:49 AM   in reply to domino1979

Edit>Preferences>Guides and Pasteboard

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2014 7:33 AM   in reply to Eugene Tyson

Eugene Tyson wrote:

Edit>Preferences>Guides and Pasteboard

What were you changing here?

It looks to me like the problem is simply the zoom level -- it's zoomed out to 5%.  Why not View > Entire Pasteboard?

Or is the point here to make the pasteboard wide enough to fill the window at 5%?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2014 7:48 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

I think they just wanted other pasteboards to have the same size or larger than the one the big red arrow is pointing at.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2014 5:41 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Makes me wonder if it would be a worthwhile project for a scipter/plugin developer to create a Pasteboard Panel.

Or a Guides and Pasteboard Panel?

Similar to what is in the Preferences - but perhaps it could be apply different settings to spreads/pages?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2014 7:32 AM   in reply to domino1979

domino1979 wrote:

How can i enlarge workspace in indesign cs6? in previous version the workspace took the whole space in the screen. In cs6 is too small. Please help.

Asking the question slightly differently:

How do you expand the white pasteboard area outside the black page trim lines?

(The workspace area = everything inside an InDesign application 'window [1.menubar 2.panels 3.statusbar 4.toolbar 5.your document 6.floating panels] - is expanded using the Maximize button at top right of the InDesign ápplication window if you're on Windows and top left? for Mac) or you can set the InDesign shortcut icon to open "Maximized". 

On Windows, you right click the shortcut icon,choose Properties-[Shortcut tab-Run:Maximized]. On Mac, you'd press something like Command-I to Get Info, I think. (I don't have a Mac here with me).  Or, you can go Alt-space-X on any normal Windows window but if you're in InDesign this would put you into the Alt-spacebar keyboard shortcut for the Hand tool (which is a very useful shortcut, but you won't get to press the X on the end).

I just tried this for the first time 3 seconds ago, but if you go into Edit--Preferences--Guides and Pasteboard... (Control-K, G, G) or Control-K, downarrow seven times) you can change the values in the Horizontal Margins and Vertical Margins fields. You only see the result after you click OK because there's no Preview checkbox in that dialog.

I'm trying to remember what the difference is between a "pasteboard" and a "canvas" (as in Photoshop) - under Image--Canvas Size because the method of adjusting them is slightly different--different-looking dialog, but are both concepts the same? (In Illustrator it's also a pasteboard, no?).

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2014 7:37 AM   in reply to bvconway

In Photoshop, everything on the canvas area is part of the image. In ID, pasteboard area is entirely outside the printable page and is use to store stuff you might want to put on the page later.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2014 7:38 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

A beeter way to say it might be that in Phootshop Canvas equates to Page in ID.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points