Skip navigation
SteveSchmutz
Currently Being Moderated

How do I disallow users from saving the data they enter into an Editable form?

Jan 13, 2014 11:25 AM

Tags: #save #data #fields

Hi all,

I am working with a client who does NOT want their users to be able to save their data. In other words, when the user opens the PDF file, they can enter data into the editable fields, but they should NOT be able to save that data as part of the PDF.

Does that make sense?

My client doesn't want the user to be able to save a local copy of the PDF with any of the data entered onto the form.

Based on what I've found in my research, as of Version 11, Adobe Reader now allows users to save their data. Unfortunately, my client doesn't want that.

Any help?

Thanks,

Steve

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 13, 2014 8:17 PM   in reply to SteveSchmutz

SteveSchmutz wrote:

Does that make sense?

Not really; why would anybody enter data into a form, then not being able to save it?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 13, 2014 9:18 PM   in reply to SteveSchmutz

Acrobat offers a number of ways to protect a PDF document; you best ask in the Acrobat forum how to achieve what you need.

|
    Mark as:
  • George Johnson
    11,661 posts
    Aug 11, 2002
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 13, 2014 9:22 PM   in reply to Pat Willener

About the best you can do is include a JavaScript that resets the form when it is saved, so no entered data remains in the fields. The problem with this approach is JavaScript can be disabled, resulting in the form not being cleared and allowing the filled-in form to be saved.

You can address this with an additional JavaScript that runs when the form is opened that sets all of the fields from read-only to not read-only, allowing the fields to be filled-in. If JavaScript is disabled, the script won't run when the document is opened and the fields will remain read-only and therefore not fillable.

The user would be able to work around this by having JavaScript enabled when the document is opened and disabling it after filling-in the form but before saving it. Most users would not be aware of how to do this though.

If there are rules/regulations/laws in place that require something more certain, you'll have to take a different approach.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points